Joe Helmsen HelmsenPartner
Joe assists his clients in developing and securing their intellectual property assets, including acquiring patents and trademarks, protecting trade secrets, and prosecuting intellectual property matters. His clients have a wide variety of technological specialties in the electrical, medical device, and computer arts, including biometric authentication and authorization, cardiac devices, joint replacement technologies, health care information technology, high-speed digital networking applications, project management software applications, and social networking development.
- Managing patent and trademark portfolios and helping businesses ensure that new intellectual property is adequately protected and documented.
- Preparing and ﬁling patent applications and securing patents for health care information technology systems, medical devices, manufacturing processes, communications equipment and systems, video display technologies, robotic applications, electronic devices, touch screen sensors, security and encryption technologies, semiconductors, broadcast media technologies, photoconductors, computer software, environmental monitoring systems, industrial designs, and business methods.
- Advising clients on data privacy, security and management issues including HIPAA compliance.
- Analyzing intellectual property portfolios prior to consummating purchase transactions to ensure assets are properly transferred.
- Developing patent ﬁling strategies that carve out technology areas relevant to each client’s businesses.
- Advising clients regarding the validity and enforceability of their patents or third-party patents and determining whether such patents are infringed.
- Providing litigation assistance regarding intellectual property matters involving cryptographic processing of ﬁnancial data, automotive parts manufacturers, manufacturing material developers and networked transmission of encrypted computer data.
- Securing trademark registrations for clients in the ﬁelds of social networking, cardiac implants, sporting goods, brand solutions, digital media and marketing.
- Filing and prosecuting domain name disputes for foreign and domestic consumer product manufacturers.
- J.D., George Washington University Law School
- M.S., Carnegie Mellon University
- B.S., Carnegie Mellon University
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association