Scott Layfield advises on mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, joint ventures, initial and secondary public offerings, private placement financings, venture transactions, strategic licensing, commercial negotiations, corporate governance and other significant corporate matters both domestically and abroad. Scott has extensive experience in distressed transactions both in and out of bankruptcy.
Scott's practice focuses on consumer facing brands across a range of industries involving retail, e-commerce, media, entertainment, fashion and food and beverage. He regularly advises clients on the strategic aspects of international matters from cross-border transactions to global expansion initiatives across Asia, Europe, and North and South America.
Representative transactions include:
- Acquisition of Officium Labs by Arise Virtual Solutions
- Acquisition of AdRizer by Vinco Ventures
- Acquisition of Mustache by DJE Holdings
- Acquisition of media assets by GoDigital Media Group
- Acquisition of Frontline Food Services by Sodexo
- Acquisition of Kearny Mesa Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram from Group 1 Automotive
- Acquisition of TicketSoft by Vista Group International
- Acquisition of Hydro Tek by Nilfisk Group
- Acquisition of Deckstar Artist Management by James Grant Group
- Convertible note offering by PROS Holdings, Inc.
- Convertible note exchange by Endologix, Inc.
- Convertible note offering by NuVasive, Inc.
- Convertible note offering by Silicon Laboratories, Inc.
- Formation of investment firm Space Angels
- Initial public offering of YogaWorks
- Joint venture of ReachTV and a strategic partner
- Merger of Kinos Medical and restor3d
- Private placement financing of iHerb.com
- Private placement financing of Chelsea Management Company
- Private placement financing of Zenlayer
- Restructuring of BRAVA Investments
- Sale of Farmhouse Culture to strategic buyer
- Sale of Juno to Lyft
- Sale of Downtown Los Angeles Auto Group to Lithia Motors
- Sale of Bankruptcy Management Solutions to Stone Point Partners
- Sale of Mom365 to Blackstreet Capital
- Sale of Sturdy Networks and Netbrains to Onica
- Seed and venture financings of Foodstirs
- Seed and venture financings of various retail, media, and technology companies
- Venture investments by Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners
- Venture investments by Renewal Funds
Representative bankruptcy transactions include:
- Acquisition of Rockport
- Acquisition of Lucky Brand Dungarees
- Acquisition of Barneys New York
- Acquisition of Aéropostale
- Acquisition of Nine West and Bandolino
- Acquisition of Rudy's Barbershop and Hair Cuttery
- Acquisition of Vitamin World
- Acquisition of Money.Net
- Sale of AeroFarms
- Sale of Fast Radius
- Sale of EYP Group Holdings
- Sale of operating assets by Celadon Group
- Sale of operating assets by Comcar Industries
- Sale of ethanol plants by Abengoa
- Sale of Katy Industries
- Various matters through different stages of sale process
- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law
- M.B.A., Pepperdine University
- B.A., Economics/Math, University of California, Santa Barbara
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises VVIP Ventures in its acquisition of the National Enquirer, National...
8 February 2023 .2 minute read
David Farkas and Scott Layfield named to Los Angeles Business Journal’s Leaders of...
22 December 2022 .2 minute read