Antonio Tomassini is a tax lawyer, Partner, Chairman of the Client Committee and member of the global tax committee at DLA Piper. PhD and adjunct Professor in tax law, Coordinator of the scientific committee at STEP Italy and member of the scientific committee at Corriere tributario.
Chairman of the Board of auditors and OdV at BMW and Alphabet Italy.
Antonio specialises in international taxation, tax litigation, as well as investment funds, wealth planning and criminal tax law. He assists clients in international taxation and M&A matters other than before tax, European, Supreme Courts and tax authorities within investigation, settlements and rulings. Previously, he served as an officer for the Italian Tax Authorities, dealing with tax inspections and criminal investigations for taxation, customs and money laundering matters.
He is one of the major contributors for tax topics of the Italian "Il Sole 24 Ore" and author of more than one hundred between monographs and articles for the most renowned tax magazines (including 'Rassegna Tributaria', Rivista di Diritto Tributario', 'Rivista Trimestrale di Diritto Tributario', 'Dialoghi Tributari', 'Corriere Tributario', 'International Tax Review'). In 2022 published a book for Giuffrè on the "Tax aspects of Criptocurrencies, NFT and Metaverse". He is professor and coordinator of the master programs edited by Wolters Kluwer (tax law and criminal tax law), Bocconi (tax law and wealth planning) and Cattolica University (tax law) and spokesman in workshops and seminars.
- University of Rome Tor Vergata, cum laude, Law degree
- University of Trieste, cum laude, Economics and Financial Sciences degree
- University of Trieste, Political Science degree
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Ph.D. in Tax Law
- Antonio is mentioned by The Legal 500 EMEA and ranked by Chambers Europe, Chambers Global and International Tax Review among the most reputable tax professionals in Italy: "He is prepared, pragmatic and a great problem solver" (Chambers Global)
- In 2021 Antonio has been recognized as "Lawyer of the Year – International taxation" at the Legalcommunity Tax Awards and "Professional of the Year - Tax" at the TopLegal Awards.
Antonio writes for Italy's main daily economic newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore and he is author of over one hundred monographs and articles for the most renewable domestic and international tax magazines.
Antonio regularly speaks at workshops and seminars on important tax topics.
Before joining DLA Piper Antonio worked for a leading international law firm and spent several years working as an Officer for the Italian Tax Police.
Antonio is a professor and coordinator at IPSOA, Bocconi University and Cattolica University tax masters.
Memberships And Affiliations
- STEP - The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
My latest insights
Announced, proposed and implemented: Developments in Digital Services Tax in key European...
9 February 2021 .3 minute read
Announced, proposed and implemented: Key features of Italy's DST
9 February 2021 .7 minute read