Sonia I. Torres PabónPartner
Sonia I. Torres Pabón, a former Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Puerto Rico, is an experienced trial attorney. She has conducted numerous corporate investigations related to fraud and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, as well as advised on the Bank Secrecy Act, the Anti-Money Laundering Act, the False Claims Act and drug diversion matters.
Before entering private practice, Sonia was the Chief of the Criminal Division for the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Puerto Rico and a formal naval judge advocate. During her 12-year tenure as an Assistant United States Attorney, she investigated and tried complex white-collar, violent crime, money-laundering and drug-trafficking cases. Sonia additionally argued numerous appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Sonia has commented on high-profile corruption cases out of the District of Puerto Rico for a variety of media outlets.
Sonia has represented clients charged with conspiracy, honest service fraud, mail fraud, healthcare-related offenses and money laundering. In civil forfeiture proceedings, she obtained the return of over US$10 million, which had been seized by the DEA and IRS from individuals and corporations.
She has represented clients before FINRA and has conducted multiple FINRA mediations. She has additionally represented clients before the Office of the Commissioner of Financial Institutions, the EPA, the Puerto Rico Public Service Commission, the Office of the Inspector General and the IRS.
- J.D., Inter American University of Puerto Rico 1986
- J.D., Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico 1990
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for Criminal Defense, Litigation, and Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice (2020-2023)
- "Lawyer Of The Year" by Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for Criminal Defense (2021, 2023)
- International Advisory Expert, White Collar Crime Award Winner in Puerto Rico (2022)
- Global Corporate INTL Global Award in White-Collar in Puerto Rico (2022)
- Global Law Experts (2022)
Sonia additionally served as Chief of the Criminal Division for the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Puerto Rico and as a US Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps Officer.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the American College of Trial Lawyers (2016)