Martijn van WanroijLegal Director
Martijn has a particularly strong experience with competition investigations and merger notifications and he has represented clients in several competition cases before the Dutch competition authority (ACM) and the European Commission, as well as in ensuing judicial appeals. He also regularly advises on commercial agreements, including the set-up and conditions applying to joint ventures, (selective or exclusive) distribution systems and platforms for cooperation between competitors.
Martijn has represented a range of clients from across different sectors in in civil litigation on competition, state aid, public procurement and international trade matters.
Martijn regularly writes and speaks on competition law topics. He is a teacher with the Dutch professional education institute for patent attorneys (Stichting Beroepsopleiding Octrooigemachtigden). Before that, he was a lecturer of competition law with Radboud University, Nijmegen for a period of six years.
- Conducting an internal investigation with a client in relation to competition law violations and coordinated successful leniency applications covering five jurisdictions in the EU as well as the European Commission.
- Advising a global petrochemical company on the competition law aspects of certain commercial initiatives for motor fuel sales and coordinating a multi-jurisdictional advice covering 7 European and North American jurisdictions.
- Advising a chemicals producer on the formation and commercial conditions of a non full-function joint venture with a competitor and drafting a self-assessment regarding compliance of the joint venture with competition law.
- Advising a leading global retailer on competition law aspects of its franchise agreements, including advice in relation to dual distribution, restrictions on out-of-territory sales and ecommerce policies.
- Advising a European key player in the animal feed sector on the potential acquisition of a competitor, including extensive advice on information exchange and clean team arrangements in the due diligence and pre-completion phases.
- Successfully defending a Dutch waste processor in civil litigation against alleged violations of state aid and public procurement rules in relation to the grant of waste processing contracts by Dutch municipalities.
- Lund University, Master of European Affairs, 2001
- University of Maastricht, Dutch Law and European Law School, 2000
Awards and Recognitions
He has been recommended by Legal 500 for EU and Competition since 2017.
- ACM boetes bestendigen strenge toepassing van het kartelverbod, Bedrijfsjuridische berichten, November 2021
- Brexit: gevolgen voor mededinging, staatssteun en aanbestedingen, Bedrijfsjuridische berichten, April 2021
- De zaak sigarettenfabrikanten: eerste ACM kartelboete voor indirecte informatie-uitwisseling, Bedrijfsjuridische berichten, February 2021
- Toepassing van de Europese en nationale mededingings- en staatssteunregels in de Coronacrisis, Bedrijfsjuridische berichten, April 2020
- Mededingingsautoriteiten waarschuwen gemeenten: let op de mededingingsregels bij grondtransacties, Praktijkblad Grondzaken en gebiedsontwikkeling, June 2019
- Martijn is a teacher with the Dutch professional education institute for patent attorneys Stichting Beroepsopleiding Octrooigemachtigden (SBO)
- Martijn regularly teaches courses with post-academic education institutions OSR and CPO
- Martijn was lecturer of competition law with Radboud University, Nijmegen from 2009 until 2015. In this position, he was responsible for organising and teaching one full-term course on competition law at Master level and for supervising Master theses
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Dutch competition law association (Vereniging voor Mededingingsrecht)