Matías Zegers serves as Managing partner of DLA Piper Chile, leading the Corporate and M&A practice group of the firm. He is also a member of the DLA Piper´s Americas Executive Committee.
Matías focuses his practice on Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Governance and Venture Capital. He is considered one of the most experienced lawyers in Corporate Governance and Venture Capital in Chile and in the region, having being consistently recognized as such by multiple rankings and publications.
In M&A, he has advised clients in several purchase and sale operations of public and private companies, both domestic and foreign. He has also participated in tender offers, privatization of electric and sanitary companies in Latin America, debt and equity issuances in the local and international markets, both registered and unregistered.
In Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship matters, he has advised clients in landmark transactions, many of them the first to be closed in Chile. Also, he has significant experience in investment funds and designing innovative solutions to fund venture capital, structuring financing products, and applying for public funds, among others. As one of the leading Chilean attorney in Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship, Mr. Zegers has been a pioneer assisting multiple tech and biotech companies in almost all the relevant verticals of the industry, both start-ups and scale-ups.
Matías is a reference at the regional level of good Corporate Governance practices, advising leading national and regional companies in matters such as boards and committees, directors' responsibilities and their evaluation, manuals and policies, among others.
Matías has developed an extended academic career. He is tenured professor at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile´s Law School and Executive Chairman of the Centro de Gobierno Corporativo UC. He is also member of the Latin American Roundtable in Corporate Governance and TaskForce of Related Parties' Transactions, both of the OECD and board member of the Fundación Carlos Vial Espantoso.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Beetrack: We advised Beetrack, a Chilean start-up that developed a SaaS (Software as a Service) for fleet management and parcel tracking for shipping and delivery companies, on the sale of their 100% ownership to DispatchTrack, LLC. and DispatchTrack Intermediate, LLC., a US group of companies dedicated to last mile delivery and route optimization.
Talana: We advised the client, a chilean start-up that developed an HR software, on the sale of the majority ownership to Endurance Investments, who bought through a public investment fund created specifically for this investment.
Uber – Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020. Awarded "Deal of the Year 2021" in the category "private M&A" by Latin Lawyer.
Odd Industries: Advised this technology startup on the acquisition by Maderas Arauco S.A., one of Chile's largest companies, of a majority stake in the company.
Colbún: Advise on the acquisition of Efizity, an energy solutions company.
The Coca Cola Company – Andina – Embonor (USA – Chile): Advise on the purchase of 100% of Comercializadora Novaverde S.A.- "Guallarauco" (USD $80 million).
Odd Industries: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US $2,000,000 Series Seed financing round led by local investors.
The Live Green Co.: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US $7,000,000 Series Pre-A financing round led by Drads Capital.
Colektia: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US$4,200,000 Series A financing round led by Angel Ventures.
Caja Los Andes: Advised on the negotiation, structuring and closing of a Series B financing round for Betterfly.
FIP Fen Ventures II: Advised this local VC firm on its investment, through its private equity fund FIP Fen Ventures II, in 14 Chilean technology companies, based in Chile and abroad: Agenda Pro (2018); Praxis Biotech LLC (July 2020); Andes Ag, Inc (March 2020); Chattigo SpA (February 2020); Get On Board SpA (November 2019); Citysense Co. (February 2020); Migrante Sociedad Financiera SpA (March 2020); Insurtech SpA (today HOUM) (February 2020); Publica.la Chile SpA (August 2020); Colektia Inc. (February 2021), Políglota SpA (February 2021); Enviame Latam SpA (December 2020); Lentes Plus (December 2020) and Mudango Chile SpA (April 2021).
Parque Arauco S.A.: Advised on the creation of its corporate governance structure, policies and framework, including the drafting of a Corporate Governance Manual.
Asociación Gremial de Generadoras de Chile: Advised on the evaluation of the functioning of its corporate governance framework.
CarbonFree Chile SpA: Finance the acquisition and/or development, construction, commissioning, testing, start-up, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of projects consisting of several photovoltaic solar energy projects with an aggregate capacity, once fully constructed and operational, of approximately 225 MW located in Chile. The lender was Deutsche Bank Trust Company AmericasOaktree Capital Management L.P.: Advise the client, as a creditor of Tranche A, for US$1,300,000,000, for the DIP ("Debtor-in-Possession") Financing Contract in Latin America – Awarded "Deal of the Year 2021" in the category "Banking and Finance" by Latin Lawyer.
lands for the development of three solar energy projects.
The University of Michigan Law School, LL.M. (Master of Laws) 2002Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law Degree (J.D.), 1994
Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 1994
2022 - Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A
2021 - Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A
2019-20 - Band 5, Chile Corporate/M&A
Chambers Latin America
2023 - Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A
2022 - Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A
2023 . Band 1, Chile Venture Capital
2022 - Band 1, Chile Venture Capital
2021 - Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A
2018-20 - Band 5, Chile Corporate/M&A
2022 - Band 1, Chile FinTech Legal
The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 - Recommended, Chile Banking and Finance
2022 - Recommended, Chile Capital Markets
2022 - Leading Lawyer, Chile Corporate and M&A
2023 – Hall of fame, Chile Venture Capital
2022 - Leading Lawyer, Chile Venture Capital
2019-21 - Recommended, Chile Banking and Finance
2021 - Recommended, Chile Capital Markets
2021 - Leading Lawyer, Chile Corporate and M&A
2021 - Leading Lawyer, Chile Venture Capital
2017-19 - Recommended, Chile Corporate and M&A (including Compliance)
2019 - Recommended, Latin America: International Firms Corporate and M&A
IFLR 1000 (Capital Markets 2019 - 2020 - 2021; Private Equity 2019 - 2020 - 2021; M&A 2019 - 2020 - 2021)
Best Lawyers (Corporate and M&A 2019 – 2020 – 2021 - 2022, Corporate Governance and Compliance 2019 – 2020 – 2021 – Lawyer of the Year 2022, Private Equity 2020 – 2021 - 2022, Venture Capital 2019 – Lawyer of the Year 2020 – 2021 - 2022)
Latin Lawyer 250 (Corporate and M&A 2019 – 2020 - Highly Recommended 2021 -2022, Anticorruption investigation and compliance 2019 – 2020, Banking and Finance 2019 – 2020 – Highly Recommended 2021 - 2022, Corporate Governance 2019 – 2020)
LACCA Approved (Capital Markets 2019 – 2020 - 2021)
Leaders League (Private Equity - Startups & Innovation – Excellent 2020; Startups & Venture Capital – Excellent 2021 - Leading 2022; Banking and Finance – Recommended 2020 – 2021 - 2022; Corporate and M&A - Highly Recommended 2020 – 2021 - 2022; Innovation, Technology and Telecoms: Telecommunications - Highly Recommended 2021; Intellectual Property: Technology - Highly Recommended 2021, Fintech - Excellent 2022)
Latin Lawyer National (Corporate and M&A 2019 - 2020, Anticorruption investigations and compliance 2019 - 2020, Corporate Governance 2019 - 2020, Banking and Finance 2019 - 2020)Leading Lawyers - Idealis (The "Most knowledgeable" in Corporate Governance - 2020 and "The professional who knows best" in Venture Capital 2022)
- "Notas sobre la evolución del derecho societario en Chile" (co-author with Roberto Guerrero), Ed. Marcial Pons, 2019
- "Análisis del Primer Intento de Imponer Autorregulación sobre Gobierno Corporativo en Chile: Resultado de un oxímoron". Co-author with Eduardo Walker and Maria Paz Godoy, to be published in Revista Chilena de Derecho
- "Grupos Empresariales e Información: ¿Es un Privilegio de los Directores del Controlador?", Business Law Studies, Thomson Reuter, 2018
- "Existe un Deber de Cuidado Particular Para Los Directores Independientes", Business Law Studies, UC Editions, 2017
- "Principio de Confianza en la Información presentada por la Sociedad a la Luz del Deber de Cuidado de los Directores", Business Law Studies, Thomson Reuters, 2014
- "Manual sobre Derecho de Sociedades", Ediciones UC, First Edition, 2014. Co-authored with Roberto Guerrero V.
- "Gobierno Corporativo en Latinoamérica: Un análisis comparativo entre Brasil, Chile, Colombia y México." Research sponsored by the Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain, December 2013. Co-authored with Josefina Consiglio
- "Interés social, Deber de Lealtad de los Directores y Conflictos de Interés en Empresas Multinacionales: Un análisis comparado con la Legislación de los Estados Unidos de América", Chilean Law Gazette, Vol.31 N°2, 2004. Co-authored
- Getting the Deal Through, Corporate Governance, 2017 – 2018 – 2019
- Getting the Deal Through, Securities Finance, 2011 – 2012 – 2013 – 2014 – 2015 – 2017
Before joining DLA Piper Chile, Matías practiced at several major law firms based in Chile and New York.
- Professor of Corporate and Securities Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile School of Law, 1997-present
- Professor of Mergers and Acquisitions in postgraduate programs, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile School of Law
- Professor of Corporate Governance in postgraduate programs, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile School of Law and Business School
- Chair, Corporate, Economic and Tax Department, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, School of Law, 2009-2019
- Executive Chaiman, Corporate Governance Center UC, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2009-present
- Visiting Scholar, Rock Center for Corporate Governance, Stanford University School of Law, 2016-2017
- Endurance Investments buys stake in Chilean software startup Talana (Leaders League – July 28, 2021)
- Uber acquires remaining stake in Cornershop (Leaders League – July 2, 2021)
- Lo que no se supo de la venta a Uber (DF MAS – June 27, 2021)
- Uber`s Acquisition of Remaining 47% Interest in Cornershop (Global Legal – June 25, 2021)
- Diversidad en Directorios: ¿Qué dice la evidencia? (El Mercurio – April 26, 2021)
- Horst Paulmann: Tres dudas sobre su ausencia (La Segunda – April 12, 2021)
- TDLC rechaza demanda de taxistas contra Uber, Easy Taxi y Cabify por conductas abusivas (Diario Financiero – March 17, 2021)
- Estudios de abogados optimistas ante importante reactivación de fusiones y adquisiciones (Diario Financiero – March 10, 2021)
- Latam Airlines consigue crédito DIP para enfrentar la crisis (Lex Latin – October 30, 2020)
- Voy a México: La nueva ruta de las startups (DF Mas – October 25, 2020)
- Los abogados de los emprendedores (DF Mas – October 11, 2020)
- Leading Lawyers elige a los abogados más influyentes y prometedores (Diario Financiero – October 6, 2020)
- Pandemia acelera actividad de capital de riesgo, pero expertos advierten trabas (Diario Financiero – September 8, 2020)
- Cornershop crea una alianza con Cencosud en Chile (Lex Latin – September 4, 2020)
- Los abogados tras el acuerdo de Cornershop y Cencosud (Diario Financiero – August 16, 2020)
- Latin Lawyer Elite 2020 (Latin Lawyer, August 13, 2020)
- TTR DealMaker Q&A with DLA Piper Partner Matías Zegers (TTR, August 10, 2020)
- Solarcentury adquiere terrenos del Gobierno chileno para tres parques solares (July 27, 2020)
- Venta de Cornershop a Uber sortea la valla de la FNE y solo resta la aprobación de México (Pulso – May 30, 2020)
- Architonic compra ArchDaily para crear la mayor plataforma de arquitectura en línea (Lex Latin – May 26, 2020)
- Los últimos movimientos de Cornershop para ganar ante la FNE (Pulso – May 24, 2020)
- Directorios y COVID: Meter la nariz, ¿y las manos? (El Mercurio – May 19, 2020)
- Fondos de capital de riesgo aseguran que industria chilena seguirá creciendo y vaticinan más "exits" de emprendimientos locales (El Mercurio – May 14, 2020)
- El comienzo de una nueva era entre ArchDaily y Architonic: sus protagonistas adelantan retos y planes de la fusión de ambas plataformas (El Mercurio – May 7, 2020)
- Giddings Fruit obtiene recursos para financiar compra de activos (Lex Latin – March 9, 2020)
- CarbonFree obtiene financiamiento para proyectos solares en Chile (Lex Latin – March 2, 2020)
- Best Lawyers 2020: baja presencia de mujeres marca última entrega de guía legal para Chile (Diario Financiero – December 3, 2019)
- Mazars y CGC UC reúnen a directores y analizan desafíos del contexto actual (Diario Financiero – November 18, 2019)
- Uber triunfa donde no pudo Walmart y compra participación en Cornershop (Lex Latin – November 14, 2019)
- Expertos enjuician plan de Luksic en sueldos: inviable para pymes y debe pasar por directorios (El Mercurio – October 25, 2019)
- La trastienda del acuerdo y los escenarios que enfrenta la compra de Cornershop a manos de Uber (El Mercurio – October 14, 2019)
- El equipo especialista en capital de riesgo detrás de la operación en Chile (Diario Financiero – October 14, 2019)
- Uber aceleraría expansión de Cornershop con su compra y app podría desembarcar en Europa (El Mercurio – October 12, 2019)
- Uber enciende el mercado del delivery con anuncio de ingreso a propiedad de Cornershop (Pulso – October 12, 2019)
- El quién es quién del mundo legal en Chile, según el ranking especializado Leaders League (Diario Financiero – September 24, 2019)
- Grenergy refuerza estrategia de rotación de activos en Chile con la venta de 27 plantas solares (Lex Latin – September 10, 2019)
- Matías Zegers, abogado de Cornershop (Revista Capital – August 30, 2019)
- Nuevo director en Link Capital Partners Administradora General de Fondos (Estrategia Online – August 21, 2019)
- Selina's Expansion of operations in Chile (Global Chronicle – August 2, 2019)
- Selina llega a Chile con la ayuda de Grupo Patio (Lex Latin – August 1, 2019)
- Abogado de Cornershop: "Los grandes patrimonios deben atreverse a asumir más riesgos" (Diario Financiero – July 29, 2019)
- Matías Zegers: "Hoy las compañías se reúnen directamente con autoridades, porque está regulado y es público" (El Mercurio – July 21, 2019)
- Atlantica gets syndicated loan for Chilean transmission line (Latin Lawyer – July 19, 2019)
- Centro de Gobierno Corporativo UC y Mazars desarrollarán ciclo de conversaciones para comités de directores (Diario Financiero – June 24, 2019)
- Ser o parecer: Regulación en Gobierno Corporativo (El Mercurio – April 29, 2019)
- Enel Américas afirma que alza de capital no es una operación entre partes relacionadas (El Mercurio – March 1, 2019)
Memberships And Affiliations
Chilean Bar Association
International Bar Association (“IBA”)
Member of the Latin American Roundtable in Corporate Governance, OECD
Member of the Task Force for Related Party Transactions, OECD