Managing Partner, Austria
Christoph has over 23 years' experience of helping industrial and technology clients with cross-border M&A transactions, corporate structuring and reorganisations.
He also focuses on advising high-net-worth individuals on asset allocation and is a widely recognised advisor for Austrian private foundations and foundations in Liechtenstein. In addition to helping clients structure and set up foundations, he advises on their operation and acts as a member of the management board for several foundations in Austria and abroad.
Christoph has a thorough understanding of the automotive and technology industries and regularly helps clients with industry specific matters, multijurisdictional transactions and cross-border reorganisations. He is known for developing tailormade solutions for clients in complex tax and regulatory environments and has excellent knowledge of the foreign direct investment regime implemented by the EU.
Recent examples of Christoph's work include advising his long-term client Andreas Wiedrich in selling all of his shares in KML Linear Technology to Aalberts and advising the US agricultural machinery manufacturer John Deere in relation with the acquisition of stakes in the US shareholders of Kreisel Electric GmbH & Co KG.
Christoph is highly motivated by helping clients to grow and strengthen their businesses. He has many long-term clients with whom he has worked for over 15 years and finds it deeply satisfying to look back on a successful journey together while continuing to support them as a trusted strategic advisor.
Christoph lectures at the University of Graz in corporate law and private foundation law.
Christoph’s experience includes advising:
- Andreas Wiedrich in selling all his shares in KML Linear Motion Technology to Aalberts, a listed global company in the semi-conductor industry
- The US agricultural machinery manufacturer John Deere in relation with the acquisition of stakes in the US shareholders of Kreisel Electric GmbH & Co KG, an Austrian leading innovator focused on the development of liquid-cooled electric battery modules and packs for high-performance and off-highway applications
- The global chip manufacturer Qualcomm in relation with the acquisition of Salzburg-based augmented reality developer Wikitude GmbH by its 100% subsidiary QGT International, including obtaining foreign direct investment approval in Austria and the EU
- The Heidelberger group in connection with time-critical restructurings and related corporate law issues
- Graphic Packaging, a leading provider of sustainable, fibre-based consumer packaging solutions, on its acquisition of AR Packaging, Europe's second largest manufacturer of fibre-based consumer packaging
- The Knorr-Bremse Group in connection with complex M&A transactions and restructurings and related corporate and commercial law issues
- The Austrian biotech company Panoptes Pharma as the target on its 100% acquisition by US pharmaceutical specialist EyeGate Pharmaceuticals
- GG Group (Gebauer & Griller) on the spin-off of its elevator division as part of the strategic consolidation of the group
- UniCredit S.p.A. on the sale of the ultimate beneficiary rights to the B&C Privatstiftung (“B&C Private Foundation”); among other assets, the B&C Privatstiftung holds majority stakes in the industrial groups Lenzing, Amag and Semperit
- Schiedel GmbH (a standalone operation within Standard Industries) in the context of the sale of its 100% share in Limited Liability Company "Schiedel" incorporated in the Ukraine; the deal was structured as a management buyout governed by Austrian law
- A multinational conglomerate (seller) and a global science and technology company (purchaser) as transaction counsel on the Austrian part of the sale of the biopharma business of the seller for approx. USD21.4 billion
- The Chinese private equity house Wise Road Capital on the establishment of a high-tech joint venture with the leading Austrian advanced sensor manufacturer AMS
- Wanfeng Auto Holding Group ("Wanfeng"), a Chinese conglomerate specialising in engineering and manufacturing, on its acquisition of Diamond Aircraft Industries GmbH ("Diamond Aircraft"); this transaction is one of the largest M&A transactions between China and Austria on record
- University of Graz, Faculty of Law, Dr. iur., 2001
- University of Graz, Faculty of Law, Mag. iur., 1998
- Oxford Brookes University, Summer School, 1995
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked for Corporate/M&A in Austria, Chambers Europe and Global 2023
- Ranked for Private Client and Commercial, Corporate and M&A in Austria, Legal 500 EMEA 2023
- Impact of the new Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Screening Framework of the EU for foreign companies in Austria, 8 August 2019
- Multijurisdictional DLA Piper team advises on real estate transaction in Luxembourg, 29 April 2020
My latest insights
Best Lawyers and Handelsblatt recommend 10 partners from DLA Piper Vienna
23 June 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises MiddleGame on EUR8.5 million Blockpit funding round
12 July 2021 .2 minute read