Matias ZegersManaging Partner
Matías Zegers serves as Managing partner of DLA Piper Chile, leading the Corporate and M&A practice group of the firm. He is also a member of the DLA Piper´s Americas Executive Committee.
Matías focuses his practice on Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Governance and Venture Capital. He is considered one of the most experienced lawyers in Corporate Governance and Venture Capital in Chile and in the region, having being consistently recognized as such by multiple rankings and publications.
In M&A, he has advised clients in several purchase and sale operations of public and private companies, both domestic and foreign. He has also participated in tender offers, privatization of electric and sanitary companies in Latin America, debt and equity issuances in the local and international markets, both registered and unregistered.
In Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship matters, he has advised clients in landmark transactions, many of them the first to be closed in Chile. Also, he has significant experience in investment funds and designing innovative solutions to fund venture capital, structuring financing products, and applying for public funds, among others. As one of the leading Chilean attorney in Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship, Mr. Zegers has been a pioneer assisting multiple tech and biotech companies in almost all the relevant verticals of the industry, both start-ups and scale-ups.
Matías is a reference at the regional level of good Corporate Governance practices, advising leading national and regional companies in matters such as boards and committees, directors' responsibilities and their evaluation, manuals and policies, among others.
Matías has developed an extended academic career. He is tenured professor at Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile´s Law School and Executive Chairman of the Centro de Gobierno Corporativo UC. He is also member of the Latin American Roundtable in Corporate Governance and TaskForce of Related Parties' Transactions, both of the OECD and board member of the Fundación Carlos Vial Espantoso.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Beetrack: We advised Beetrack, a Chilean start-up that developed a SaaS (Software as a Service) for fleet management and parcel tracking for shipping and delivery companies, on the sale of their 100% ownership to DispatchTrack, LLC. and DispatchTrack Intermediate, LLC., a US group of companies dedicated to last mile delivery and route optimization.
- Talana: We advised the client, a chilean start-up that developed an HR software, on the sale of the majority ownership to Endurance Investments, who bought through a public investment fund created specifically for this investment.
- Uber – Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020. Awarded "Deal of the Year 2021" in the category "private M&A" by Latin Lawyer.
- Odd Industries: Advised this technology startup on the acquisition by Maderas Arauco S.A., one of Chile's largest companies, of a majority stake in the company.
- Colbún: Advise on the acquisition of Efizity, an energy solutions company.
- The Coca Cola Company – Andina – Embonor (USA – Chile): Advise on the purchase of 100% of Comercializadora Novaverde S.A.- "Guallarauco" (USD $80 million).
- Odd Industries: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US $2,000,000 Series Seed financing round led by local investors.
- The Live Green Co.: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US $7,000,000 Series Pre-A financing round led by Drads Capital.
- Colektia: Advised in the negotiation, structuring and closing of a US$4,200,000 Series A financing round led by Angel Ventures.
- Caja Los Andes: Advised on the negotiation, structuring and closing of a Series B financing round for Betterfly.
- FIP Fen Ventures II: Advised this local VC firm on its investment, through its private equity fund FIP Fen Ventures II, in 14 Chilean technology companies, based in Chile and abroad: Agenda Pro (2018); Praxis Biotech LLC (July 2020); Andes Ag, Inc (March 2020); Chattigo SpA (February 2020); Get On Board SpA (November 2019); Citysense Co. (February 2020); Migrante Sociedad Financiera SpA (March 2020); Insurtech SpA (today HOUM) (February 2020); Publica.la Chile SpA (August 2020); Colektia Inc. (February 2021), Políglota SpA (February 2021); Enviame Latam SpA (December 2020); Lentes Plus (December 2020) and Mudango Chile SpA (April 2021).
- Parque Arauco S.A.: Advised on the creation of its corporate governance structure, policies and framework, including the drafting of a Corporate Governance Manual.
- Asociación Gremial de Generadoras de Chile: Advised on the evaluation of the functioning of its corporate governance framework.
- CarbonFree Chile SpA: Finance the acquisition and/or development, construction, commissioning, testing, start-up, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of projects consisting of several photovoltaic solar energy projects with an aggregate capacity, once fully constructed and operational, of approximately 225 MW located in Chile. The lender was Deutsche Bank Trust Company AmericasOaktree Capital Management L.P.: Advise the client, as a creditor of Tranche A, for US$1,300,000,000, for the DIP ("Debtor-in-Possession") Financing Contract in Latin America – Awarded "Deal of the Year 2021" in the category "Banking and Finance" by Latin Lawyer.
lands for the development of three solar energy projects.
The University of Michigan Law School, LL.M. (Master of Laws) 2002
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law Degree (J.D.), 1994
- Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 1994
- Chambers Global
- Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A (2021-2023)
- Band 5, Chile Corporate/M&A (2019-2020)
- Chambers Latin America
- Band 3, Chile Corporate/M&A (2024)
- Band 4, Chile Corporate/M&A (2021-2023)
- Band 1, Chile Venture Capital (2022, 2024)
- Band 5, Chile Corporate/M&A (2018-2020)
- Chambers FinTech
- Band 1, Chile FinTech Legal (2022)
- The Legal 500 Latin America
- Recommended, Chile Banking and Finance (2019-2022)
- Recommended, Chile Capital Markets (2021-2022)
- Leading Lawyer, Chile Corporate and M&A (2021-2022)
- Leading Lawyer, Chile Venture Capital (2021-2022)
- Recommended, Chile Corporate and M&A (including Compliance) (2017-2019)
- Recommended, Latin America: International Firms Corporate and M&A (2019)
- IFLR 1000
- Capital Markets (2019-2021)
- Private Equity (2019-2021)
- M&A (2019-2021)
- Best Lawyers
- Corporate and M&A (2019-2022)
- Corporate Governance and Compliance (2019-2021)
- Lawyer of the Year (2022)
- Private Equity (2020-2022)
- Venture Capital (2019) – Lawyer of the Year (2020-2022)
- Latin Lawyer 250
- Corporate and M&A (2019-2020)
- Highly Recommended (2021 -2022)
- Anticorruption investigation and compliance (2019-2020)
- Banking and Finance (2019-2020)
- Corporate Governance (2019-2020)
- LACCA Approved (Capital Markets 2019-2021)
- Leaders League (Private Equity - Startups & Innovation – Excellent 2020; Startups & Venture Capital – Excellent 2021 - Leading 2022; Banking and Finance – Recommended 2020-2022; Corporate and M&A - Highly Recommended 2020-2022; Innovation, Technology and Telecoms: Telecommunications - Highly Recommended 2021; Intellectual Property: Technology - Highly Recommended 2021, Fintech - Excellent 2022)
- Latin Lawyer National (Corporate and M&A 2019-2020, Anticorruption investigations and compliance 2019-2020, Corporate Governance 2019-2020, Banking and Finance 2019-2020)
- Leading Lawyers - Idealis (The "Most knowledgeable" in Corporate Governance - 2020 and "The professional who knows best" in Venture Capital 2022)
- "Legal Alert: Chile’s Bill on personal data protection: what comes ahead?" May, 2023
- "Notas sobre la evolución del derecho societario en Chile" (co-author with Roberto Guerrero), Ed. Marcial Pons, 2019
- "Análisis del Primer Intento de Imponer Autorregulación sobre Gobierno Corporativo en Chile: Resultado de un oxímoron". Co-author with Eduardo Walker and Maria Paz Godoy, to be published in Revista Chilena de Derecho
- "Grupos Empresariales e Información: ¿Es un Privilegio de los Directores del Controlador?", Business Law Studies, Thomson Reuter, 2018
- "Existe un Deber de Cuidado Particular Para Los Directores Independientes", Business Law Studies, UC Editions, 2017
- "Principio de Confianza en la Información presentada por la Sociedad a la Luz del Deber de Cuidado de los Directores", Business Law Studies, Thomson Reuters, 2014
- "Manual sobre Derecho de Sociedades", Ediciones UC, First Edition, 2014. Co-authored with Roberto Guerrero V.
- "Gobierno Corporativo en Latinoamérica: Un análisis comparativo entre Brasil, Chile, Colombia y México." Research sponsored by the Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain, December 2013. Co-authored with Josefina Consiglio
- "Interés social, Deber de Lealtad de los Directores y Conflictos de Interés en Empresas Multinacionales: Un análisis comparado con la Legislación de los Estados Unidos de América", Chilean Law Gazette, Vol.31 N°2, 2004. Co-authored
- Getting the Deal Through, Corporate Governance, 2017 – 2018 – 2019
- Getting the Deal Through, Securities Finance, 2011 – 2012 – 2013 – 2014 – 2015 – 2017
- Other major Chilean firms, 1993-2001 / 2003-2006
- Davis Polk & Wardwell, New York, 2002-2003
- Professor of Corporate and Securities Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (1997-present)
- Professor of Mergers and Acquisitions in postgraduate programs, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Professor of Corporate Governance in postgraduate programs, School of Law and Business School, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Chair, Corporate, Economic and Tax Department, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2009-2019)
- Executive Chaiman of the Corporate Governance Center UC, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2009 to date)
- Visiting Scholar, Rock Center for Corporate Governance, School of Law, Stanford University (2016-2017)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chilean Bar Association
- International Bar Association (“IBA”)
- Member of the Latin American Roundtable in Corporate Governance, OECD
- Member of the Task Force for Related Party Transactions, OECD