Sander Buysse is a finance lawyer with over 10 years' experience advising clients in a range of domestic and cross-border banking transactions, including acquisition finance, real estate finance, syndicated loans and project finance (especially in the infra sector).
Sander's practice is focused on corporate and leveraged finance and real estate finance transactions, but he also regularly acts on venture finance and trade finance (including ECA-backed lending and borrowing based lending) transactions.
He has also represented sponsors, lenders and authorities in the most complex and high profile PPP infrastructure projects in Belgium, both in Flanders and Wallonia.
- Assisted a global HR services provider headquartered in Belgium in the syndicated loan by a club of Belgian banks across a handful of European jurisdictions.
- Assisted a US private lender on the venture financing of a Belgian biotech company.
- Assisted Belgian Eco Energy (BEE) and Equitix as sponsors in relation to a project pertaining to the construction of a new biomass power plant in the port of Ghent, Belgium, including the senior financing by National Westminster Bank and the junior financing from a local cooperative.
- Assisted Colas, CAF and DIF as sponsors in the entire bid, including the financing of a PPP project for a tram line in Liège, Belgium. Total funding for the project amounted to approx. EUR 429 million, including long-term debt secured from the European Investment Bank (EIB), Belfius, BBVA, Natixis, AG Insurance and Talanx.
- Assisted Helaba on the EUR 228.6 million financing of the acquisition from Belfius Insurtance and AG Insurance of North Light and Pole Star, the 77,000 m² Brussels offices rented by Engie Electrabel, by South Korean and French investors. At the time, the transaction represented the second largest acquisition of an office building ever conducted in Belgium by deal value.
- Queen Mary, University of London, LL.M Banking and Finance Law, 2012
- University of Antwerp, Master Laws, 2011
- DLA Piper advises on consecutive key infrastructure PPP transactions in Wallonia
- Fierens, J-P., Richelle, J., Buysse S. and Dewitte J., "Belgium" in Byrne Hill D. (ed.), Financial Services Litigation, London, Law Business Research, 2016, 11-14
- Richelle J., Buysse S. and Lang E.-G., "Belgium" in Kandel, C. (ed.) The Acquisition and Leveraged Finance Review, London, Law Business Research, 2016, 37-47
- Buysse S. and Bradt J., "Inhoud en bewijs van borgtocht" in in I. Vanden Bosch (ed.), Borgtocht, een rechtsfiguur met veel facetten, Gent, Larcier, 2015, 119-144
- Buysse S. and Bradt J., "Het beëindigen van borgtocht" in I. Vanden Bosch (ed.), Borgtocht, een rechtsfiguur met veel facetten, Gent, Larcier, 2015, 299-333
- Buysse S. and Castelein D., "Call en Put Opties" in Tilleman B, Verbeke A en Portugaels, N (eds.), Knelpunten Contractrecht, Opties, Antwerpen, Intersentia, 2014
- 2016 - current: Lead Lawyer with DLA Piper Brussels
- 2015 - 2016: Lawyer Brussels' corporate and finance boutique firm
- 2012 - 2015: Lawyer with DLA Piper Brussels