Kaat ScheerlinckLead Lawyer
Kaat Scheerlinck is a lawyer with over 5 years of experience in IT law, technology law and intellectual property law. She advises and assists both public sector and private sector clients with a focus on the technology, life sciences and retail and consumer goods sectors.
Kaat assists clients in the drafting and negotiating of contracts, including complex outsourcing agreements, technology transactions, commercial collaboration agreements and license agreements. She also advises clients on all topics of intellectual property law, with a focus on soft IP (copyright, trademarks, design rights and trade secrets) and assists clients in intellectual property disputes and litigation. She also advises on related topics such as commercial law, e-commerce, consumer protection and gaming and gambling laws.
Kaat regularly publishes articles and contributions on topics in IT and technology law and intellectual property law. She is also regularly involved in pro bono projects for NGOs whereby she advises in her specific areas of expertise.
- Assisting several Belgian governmental companies on the outsourcing of all of their IT functions to one or more global outsourcing partners.
- Advising several global and international technology companies on risks relating to contract law and public procurement, including in the transport, fulfillment, industry, aviation, healthcare, clinical research and HR services sectors.
- Advising a Belgian retail group in several disputes and litigations regarding copyright, trademarks and design rights infringement, unfair commercial market practices and advertising.
- Advising and assisting a global online retailer on topics relating to consumer protection, packaging and labelling requirements and safety regulations.
- Advising a global entertainment company in the context of the launch of a new streaming platform with a focus on intellectual property and consumer law aspects.
- University of Ghent (UGent), Master of Arts in archaeology, summa cum laude, 2016
- University of Leuven (KUL), LLM in Intellectual Property and Information Technology law, magna cum laude, 2015
- University of Ghent (UGent), Master of Laws, cum laude, 2013
My latest insights
Stronger ESG focus in Belgian federal public procurement contracts
8 December 2021 .3 minute read
Repeat trademark filings: General Court confirms bad faith filing in Monopoly case
20 May 2021 .6 minute read