Strengthening your resilience to risk
We have broad experience helping clients with matters at the intersection between healthcare, life sciences, and food and drug regulation. But we’re particularly recognized for our deep knowledge and experience of advising on the complexities of healthcare compliance and regulation, and on relationships with federal healthcare programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. This extends to other payors, as well as to non-federal business and financial relationships.
Clients turn to us for clear and actionable advice on a wide variety of issues, including reimbursement advice, payor enrollment matters, exclusion and revocation proceedings, overpayments, audits and administrative appeals, internal investigations, compliance plan design, and healthcare regulatory and HIPAA due diligence. We also help with deals and conduct implicating the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and Civil Monetary Penalties Act.
“The lawyers leave no stone unturned, have an extraordinary level of attention to detail and don't cut corners.”
We provide guidance on the laws governing data privacy and cybersecurity, telehealth, digital health, value-based arrangements, accountable care organizations, clinically-integrated networks and managed care arrangements.
Additionally, we ensure a robust defense for clients in challenges by federal agencies and their contractors, the Department of Justice (DOJ), US Attorneys, and the Office of Inspector General (OIG). Our team includes trial, litigation and compliance lawyers. Many of them are former federal prosecutors, with significant experience of defending lawsuits and investigations initiated by state and federal regulators and enforcers, defending whistleblower cases, negotiating settlements and Corporate Integrity Agreements and responding to government requests for information.
In an industry with divergent and complex regulatory and compliance requirements, we’ll work closely with you to mitigate risk and strengthen your defenses.
Awards and recognition
- Ranked practice for USA – Nationwide Healthcare: Highly Regarded, Chambers USA 2022
- Practice and lawyers recognized – Healthcare, District of Columbia, Chambers USA 2022
- Representing hospitals, healthcare providers and physician groups in several investigations by the Department of Health and Human Services-OIG, and the DOJ
- Advising health systems in the DOJ’s national Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator investigation
- Defending whistleblower suits brought by third parties
- Defending allegations that hospitals’ services were medically unnecessary and therefore not reimbursable
- Advising a hospital in a dispute with former third-party billing and management companies related to alleged improprieties by those companies
- Representing the operator of long-term care facilities in parallel state and federal investigations
- Advising a large academic medical center in government investigations relating to billings to federal healthcare programs
- Representing various clients in False Claims Act lawsuits alleging false billings to federal healthcare programs
- Representing allied health providers in parallel state and federal administrative, civil and criminal investigations into alleged billing for medically unnecessary services
News and insights
CMS issues first HCPCS code and Medicare DME benefit category determination for...
31 March 2023 .7 minute read
CMS proposes new disclosure requirements for Medicare SNFs and Medicaid nursing facilities...
29 March 2023 .13 minute read