Jason Herbert has practised administrative law and litigation with the firm since 1999, and is co-chair of the Canadian Professional Governance and Regulation practice.
Jason’s practice is focussed on advising professional regulatory clients on governance, professional conduct review and discipline, registration, bylaw and policy development, public policy advocacy, regulatory compliance, human rights, labour mobility, access to information and privacy, and risk management. His clients include regulatory bodies for multiple professions in British Columbia and Yukon.
Jason is also experienced in advising and acting for a wide range of other clients in, or dealing with, the public sector. This includes advising clients in the education and energy sectors, and acting as litigation counsel in judicial review and other public law litigation.
Jason has appeared as counsel before the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, and the Federal Court of Canada. He has also appeared as an advocate before various administrative tribunals, including the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of BC, the BC Utilities Commission, the Yukon Utilities Board, and the Commission of Inquiry into Money Laundering in BC, and he frequently represents health profession colleges before the BC Health Professions Review Board.
Jason was the Silver Medallist in the 1997 graduating class at the University of Toronto Law School. He was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1999 after completing a one-year clerkship with the Supreme Court of British Columbia, with Madam Justice Saunders as his principal. Jason has also been a member of the Yukon Bar since 2009.
Jason was also the Governor General’s Medallist for the University of British Columbia Faculty of Arts in 1992, and completed a Master's degree in mathematics at the University of Toronto in 1994.
Jason is rated AV® Preeminent, the highest peer review rating, by Martindale-Hubbell. He is also listed by Best Lawyers in Canada for Administrative and Public Law, and was recognized by Lexpert in 2010 as a Canadian Litigation Lawyer to Watch.
Jason also volunteers with the Youth Parliament of British Columbia Alumni Society, and currently serves as the Chair of its Board of Directors. He also serves as a member of the national Board of Directors of Canada Artistic Swimming.
- LL.B., (Silver Medallist), University of Toronto, 1997
- M.Sc., Mathematics, University of Toronto, 1994
- B.A. (Honours), Mathematics (Governor General's Medallist), University of British Columbia, 1992
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Administrative and Public Law), 2017-2023
- Named as one of the 2010 Lexpert Canadian Litigation Lawyers to Watch
- Speaker, “Stay In Your Lane: Understanding Reserved Practice and the New Practice of Professional Forestry”, Association of BC Forest Professionals Webinar, December 8, 2021
- Speaker, “Top Regulatory Cases and Trends”, Real Estate Regulators of Canada 2019 Annual Conference, June 7, 2019
- Speaker, "Labour Mobility of Regulated Professionals: Issues for Regulators", Self-Governing Professionals 2017, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, July 27, 2017
- Speaker, “A Primer on the Health Professions Act: What Every Registrant Needs to Know”, Continuing Competency Workshops of College of Psychologists of BC, June 24, August 12 and November 24, 2015
- Speaker, “Regulating the Regulators: Five Years under the Health Professions Review Board”, Continuing Competence Presentation at AGM of College of Psychologists of BC, May 22, 2014
- Speaker, “Disclosure to Members and Complainants in Professional Conduct Investigations and in Reviews before the Health Professions Review Board”, Self Governing Professionals 2014, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, April 4, 2014
- Speaker, “Regulating under the Health Professions Act: A Primer for Registrars”, Executive Directors and Registrars of Professional Organizations of BC, May 21, 2013