Chair, Canadian Corporate Group
Ted acts as external general counsel for some of Canada's fastest-growing emerging companies assisting with day-to-day commercial arrangements to mission critical transactions.
Ted spends most of his time advising on mergers, acquisitions and sale transactions, particularly cross-border or multi-jurisdictional M&A. He also regularly assists with equity or debt financings, RTOs/going public transactions, partnerships and joint ventures. Ted acts for emerging companies with all aspects of their startup plan and tax planning structuring and reorganization. Finally Ted has a great deal of experience working on long-term mission critical outsourcing IT transactions, as well as assisting foreign corporations with all aspects of their plans to expand to Canada. Ted is a regular contributor to our Growing your Canadian business series.
Ted is head of the firm's Corporate group and a member of the firm's Emerging Growth and Venture Capital Leadership group.
RECENT SELL-SIDE MANDATES
- Acted for the sellers of a major Canadian marina network by a Canadian search fund.
- Acted for the owners of Brightworks Interactive Marketing Inc. in the acquisition by Venture Communications Ltd. as funded by CBGF.
- Acted for the owners of Zync Communications in the acquisition by Venture Communications Ltd. as funded by CBGF.
- Acted for the Founders/Sellers of Probenefits Consulting and ProTPA to Navacord Corp.
- Acted for the Founders/Sellers of Globalfaces Direct Inc. in its acquisition by CPS Capital.
- Acted for the Founders/Sellers of Globalfaces Direct Inc. in the roll-in of various direct marketing agencies.
- Acted as Canadian counsel for Sellers of US diversified manufacturer, including all of its Canadian subsidiaries, for approximately USD$110M.
- Acted for LDC (Managers) Ltd. in sale of Digital Chaos Sports, Inc., an Atlanta-based eSports organization to GG Corp, a Canadian corporation.
- Acted for Founders/Sellers of Bloomera in its sale to RavenQuest BioMed Inc.
- Acted for Lockheed Martin in the Canadian reorganization of its IS&GS business as part of its sale to Leidos ($5 billion).
RECENT BUY-SIDE MANDATES
- Acted for Tier1CRM Inc. in the acquisition of the sell-side Tier1 Customer Relationship Management business and related assets from SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc.
- Acted for AES Engineering Limited in the acquisition of VibTech Analysis Ltd.,JAtech Services and Performance Compression and Sealing Inc.
- Acted for Shiphero in its acquisition of a Canadian fulfilment company.
- Acted for Namecheap in acquisition of Stencil.
- Acted for GMP Contracting in acquisition of Provincial Underground.
- Acted for a Canadian investment group in its acquisition of a group of franchises
- Acting for Leavitt Machinery/Venturis Capital in various acquisitions.
- Acted for Webjet Limited in the acquisition of Trip Ninja Inc.
- Acted as Canadian counsel to Centroid Investment Partners in its agreement to acquire TaylorMade Golf Company.
- Acted for Tier1 Financial Solutions on its acquisition of Satuit Technologies, Inc.
- Acted for Tier1 Financial Solutions on its acquisition of Alessa.
- Acted for Grenco Science in cross-border transaction with Vapium Incorporated.
- Acted for AppLovin Corporation in its purchase of Clipwire Games Inc.
- Acted for Marchex, Inc. in the acquisition of issued and outstanding shares of Telmetrics Inc.
- Acted for Airbus Group in the acquisition of Navtech, Inc.
RECENT FINANCING TRANSACTIONS
- Acted for Bond Brand Loyalty in its strategic investment from Mountaingate Capital.
- Acted for Questa Capital in its USD $12.5 million Series B funding of ACTO Technologies Inc.
- Acted Questa Capital in its USD $16 million Series A funding of PocketHealth.
- Acted for FinTech Collective, LLC in its investment into Canadian financial data services company, CapIntel Inc.
- Acted for Tier1 Solutions in its Series B financing round.
- Acted for US VC firm in its Series A investment in a Canadian security firm.
- Acted for a Canadian group in its investment in a Canadian licensed producer.
- Acted for investor Mouro Capital (formerly Santander Fintech) in $476 million Series D funding round for Trulioo Information Services Inc.
- Acted for co-lead investor in Acerta Series A financing.
- Acted for a major investor in Series B funding of AI chatbot provider Ada Support.
- Acted for lead investor in Series D offering by Arctic Wolf Networks, Inc.
- Acting for investor providing growth capital to Canadian aerospace company.
- Acted as counsel to New Student Centre Corporation as borrower and York Student Centre Incorporated as guarantor in a $44.5 million dollar financing by Canada Life which leveraged a referendum-approved student levy, all for the construction of a new Student Centre at York University.
RECENT CANNABIS TRANSACTIONS
- Acted for lead investor in non-brokered private placement of convertible debenture units by The Flowr Corporation.
- Acted for Grenco Science in cross-border transaction with Vapium Incorporated.
- Acted for Newstrike Brands Ltd. in a share purchase agreement for minority interest in Neal Brothers Brands Inc. and joint venture agreement.
- Acted for The Flowr Corporation in reverse take-over transaction of The Needle Capital Corp.
- Acted for UP Cannabis, a Licensed Producer under the ACMPR, in its going public transaction (RTO) with Newstrike Resources Ltd.
- Acted for UP Cannabis in its acquisition of Enderlein Nurseries, an applicant to become a Licensed Producer under the ACMPR.
- Acted as counsel to participant in joint venture (vape pen manufacturer).
- Acted for Newstrike Brands Ltd. on a bought deal short form prospectus offering of units for gross proceeds of $51.8 million.
- Acted for The Flowr Corporation in connection with $66 million in non-brokered and brokered private placements.
- Acted for The Flowr Corporation in connection with its strategic R&D alliance with Hawthorne Canada Ltd.
- Acted for UP Cannabis, a Licensed Producer under the ACMPR, in its licensing deal with The Tragically Hip.
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1999
- B.Comm., Minor in International Justice and Human Rights (Honours, Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian), McMaster University, 1996
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Mid-Market), 2023
- The Legal 500 Canada (Cannabis), 2020; (Corporate and M&A), 2019-2023
- Lexology Legal Influencers Q4 2020 (Corporate - Canada)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, Technology and Health Sciences Special Edition, 2023
- Co-author, Guide to Going Global Corporate, Canada section, 2021 and 2023
- Co-author, "Establishing a Business in Canada (Federal)", Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, February 2015
- Co-author, "The Right Price is Only the Beginning", The Lawyers Weekly, July 2014
- Co-author, "Tighten up on that service provider agreement", The Lawyers Weekly, April 2014
- Co-author, "How to Sell Your Business", BC Business Magazine, July 2013
- Speaker, "Structuring and Financing Inter-Family Business Succession", Buying or Selling a Business 2020, Law Society of Ontario, March 4, 2020
- Podcast, "Incorporation & Corporate Structure Planning with Ted Maduri", Financial Planning for Canadian Business Owners, jasonpereira.ca, February 13, 2020
- Chair, The Six-Minute Business Lawyer 2019, The Law Society of Upper Canada, 2019
- Chair, The Six-Minute Business Lawyer 2018, The Law Society of Upper Canada, June 4, 2018
- Co-Chair, The Six-Minute Business Lawyer 2017, The Law Society of Upper Canada, June 13, 2017
- Speaker, "Entrepreneurship 101: Negotiations", MaRS Entrepreneurship Course, February 2015
- Speaker, "Drafting the Agreement: Best Approaches to Working Capital, Earn Out, and Other Specialty Purchase Price Clauses", The Law Society of Upper Canada CPD Program, March 2014
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Financing and SMEs", HalTech, January 2014
- Speaker, "Foundations in Entrepreneurial Management: Start-Up Law", University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies: Certificate in Entrepreneurship, January 2014
- Speaker, "Non-Disclosure Agreements", Law Society of Upper Canada: The Six-Minute Business Lawyer Program, June 2012
- Speaker, "Checklist for Ensuring that your Company gets Paid", Law Society of Upper Canada: The Six-Minute Business Lawyer Program, June 2011
- President, Muskoka United Football Club
- President, Huntsville Soccer Club