Alina Lacatus practices in the area of corporate/competition group, having more than fourteen years of experience advising companies mainly from the life sciences sector, but also FMCG & retail, energy, oil&gas, steel, advertising and telecommunications in all matters related to the competition law rules.
She has extensive experience in competition law projects and regularly provides assistance to professional associations both with the prevention and compliance to competition law as well as with the investigations carried out by the Romanian Competition Council.
Alina is advising and representing clients in front of the Romanian Competition Council in investigations (both sector inquiries and targeted investigations aimed at potential breaches of both national Competition Law and EU competition rules), dawn raids, compliance advice (e.g. mock dawn raids, compliance programs, trainings, competition audits, assessment of competition-related implications on a wide array of business models, risk assessments and development of strategies both on day-to-day activities as well as challenging decisions of the Romanian Competition Council). She also has experience in merger control mandates, competition authority investigations and sector inquiries and provides assistance with compliance issues and risk assessments.
In Chambers Europe 2018, clients describe as an "outstanding" competition lawyer, being also noted for her experience in pharmaceutical regulatory matters. Alina was recognised amongst the "30 in their 30's Notable Women Competition Professionals in Private Practice" by W@ - Women Competition Professionals 2017 and was mentioned as a lead competition lawyer on Who's Who Legal among practitioners in over 180 countries and regions.
- Assisting a multinational pharmaceutical company in relation to various aspects related to public procurement procedures in relation to medicines.
- Performing for a global pharmaceutical company, a review of the commercial practices with various distributors in Romania in order to mitigate any competition-related risks.
- Assisting a global, science-led, biopharmaceutical company in one of the few merger clearance processes dealt with by the RCC, concerning the sale of certain medicines and assets pertaining thereto in a number of countries, including Romania.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical and life sciences company in a recent investigation initiated by the Romanian Competition Council on the market for medicines released without medical prescription and food supplements.
- Advising a world leading renal care service providers in all competition law issues triggered by transactions envisaged by the company on the dialysis services market.
- Assisting an international manufacturer of branded chocolate and confectionery products during its negotiations with important international key accounts, including the drafting of the contractual documentation and the alignment of the contractual documentation with the client's own commercial terms, in particular in the context of the amendment of the Romanian food trade legislation.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company on all competition related implications triggered by distribution agreements, commercial policies, discounts schemes, communication with distributors.
- Advising a FMCG producer in the changing of its commercial policy concerning the distribution and merchandising to international key accounts, in the context of the amendment of the Romanian food trade legislation.
- Advising a leading biotech company with respect to a recently launched high-level investigation of the Romanian Competition Council for an alleged cartel of producers of immunoglobulin suspected to have adopted a coordinated strategy for limiting and disrupting the supply of immunoglobulin on the Romanian market.
- King's College - University of London, LL.M. EU Competition Law, 2014 (expected)
- King's College - University of London, Postgraduate in EU Competition Law, 2012 (Distinction)
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LL.M., Master of Business Law, 2007
University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 2004
- Band 2 – Chambers & Partners, 2020
- Mention – Legal 500, 2019
- Co-author of Chambers Global Practice Guides: Merger Control 2018 and 2019, Romania Chapter
- Co-author of the article "Life sciences in Romania - overview", Life Sciences Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/2013 Q&A
- Author of 'Impact analysis of special cases of application of sanctions by the Romanian Competition Council', Revista Romana de Dreptul Afacerilor 8/2012
- Co-author on 'Comments of the Decision of the European Commission of 20 July 2010 relating to a proceeding under Article 1010 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and Article 53 of the EEA Agreement (case COMP/38866 - Animal Feed Phosphates)', Revista Romana de Dreptul Afacerilor 10/2012
- May 2018 - to date: DLA Piper Romania, Partner
- May 2015 - April 2018: DLA Piper Romania, Counsel
- May 2013 - April 2015: DLA Piper Romania, Senior Associate
- May 2012 - April 2013 - DLA Piper Romania, Managing Associate
- February 2010 - April 2012: DLA Piper Romania, Associate
- June 2008 - January 2010: Romanian Law Firm, Associate
- September 2004 - June 2008: Romanian Law Firm, Associate
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Bucharest Bar and the National Union of Romanian Bars
- Member of the Competition Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce - Romania
- Member of the Healthcare Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce - Romania
- Member of the Romanian Union of Lawyers