Bruce W. StrattonCounsel
Patent Agent and Trademark Agent
Bruce Stratton has been practising exclusively in the field of intellectual property law since 1987. He is experienced in patent, trademark and copyright litigation with a particular emphasis on patent disputes concerning computer-related technology.
Bruce has represented both domestic and foreign clients in patent disputes in such areas as wireless communication protocols, e-mail systems, software systems, consumer products, as well as oil and gas drilling and artificial lift equipment and systems. His technical background in computing science gives him a valuable perspective in cases involving computer and information technology.
Described by Who’s Who Legal as a “hard-nosed” and “resourceful” litigator, Bruce has been counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada in cases that have resolved fundamental issues of patent and trademark law. His experience also extends to litigating and advising on copyright and trade secret matters. He has written and spoken on diverse topics such as the legal protection of computer technology and litigation in the Federal Court in Canada.
Prior to joining DLA Piper (Canada) LLP, Bruce was the co-founding partner of one of Canada’s elite intellectual property law firms.
- LL.B., University of Toronto , 1985
- B.Sc. (Computing and Information Science), Queens University, 1981
- Benchmark Litigation, Ranked “Litigation Star” (Intellectual Property), 2023
- Chambers Global (Canada, Intellectual Property: Litigation), 2007-2023
- Chambers Canada (Intellectual Property: Litigation), 2016-2023
- The Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property), 2014-2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law), 2006-2024
- WTR 1000, World Trademark Review, Leading Trademark Professional, 2021-2023
- IAM Patent Litigation 250
- IAM Patent 1000, (Litigation), 2017-2023
- Leading Lawyer, The Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property), 2019-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Intellectual Property; Litigation: Intellectual Property), 1998–2003, 2007–2023
- Lexpert Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers, 2020
- Lexpert® ALM 500 Directory (Intellectual Property), 2017-2023
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law), 2015
- Contributor, "Patent Litigation - Canada," chapter of Chambers Global Practice Guides (2022-2023)
- Annotated Patent Act, Thomson Carswell, updated annually
- Contributing author, “Computer-Related Disputes,” Intellectual Property Disputes: Resolutions and Remedies, Thomson Carswell, updated annually
- Speaker, "Managing legal risks in a rapidly evolving IT landscape," Federated Press Mini-LLB for CIOs, Toronto, February 2016
- Co-Speaker, "The Impact of firm platform on IP practice," The Canadian Institute Business of Intellectual Property Forum, Toronto, October 2015
- Panellist, "The New Normal in US Patent Litigation: claim construction; fee-shifting; damages; and more," Federal Circuit Bar Association and the United States Chamber of Commerce Global Series, Washington D.C., May 2015
- Speaker, "Disclosure of draft expert reports," Canadian Bar Association IP Day, Ottawa, May 2015
- Quoted, "Canadian law firm mergers continue from east to west", Top News, Newsmakers and Cases 2016, Law Times, December 12, 2016
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, iTechLaw
- Member, Advocates’ Society
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada lawyers recognized in the 2023 Lexpert Special Edition on Technology and...
4 July 2023 .1 minute read