Roger MeltzerChairman Emeritus
Roger Meltzer is Chairman Emeritus of DLA Piper. He is also a member of the firm's Global Board and the US Executive Committee (Co-Chair).
Roger has practiced corporate and securities law for more than 40 years. Among his clients are corporations, investment banking firms, commercial banks, and private equity and investment funds. He has represented his clients in a range of finance transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, public offerings, and public and private placements of debt and equity securities.
Roger acts as counsel to both issuers and underwriters in domestic and international financings and has also advised on high-yield offerings, mezzanine and bridge financings, investment-grade debt offerings, acquisition financings and recapitalizations. He also counsels corporations on corporate governance and securities regulation, and provides general corporate advice to a number of publicly and privately held companies.
- J.D., New York University School of Law 1977
Order of the Coif
- A.B., Harvard University 1973
- The Legal 500 United States
2015 - Leading Lawyer, M&A Middle-Market ($500M-999M)
- The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 - Recommended, Puerto Rico Dispute Resolution and Bankruptcy
2021 - Recommended, Puerto Rico Dispute Resolution and Bankruptcy
2019 - Recommended, International Arbitration
2019 - Recommended, Mexico Real Estate
- "Should Firm Leaders Know How Individual Partners Vote on a Merger?" The American Lawyer, June 11, 2019
- "Hedging Against Recession, DLA Piper Bets on Data and Tech Programs," The American Lawyer, May 2, 2019
- "Global 20: DLA Piper," Law360, July 6, 2018
- "What, Me Worry? Some Law Firm Leaders See Rosy 2018 Ahead," The American Lawyer, January 2, 2017
- "Roger Meltzer, Global Co-Chair of DLA Piper," Hsu United, October 2017
- "DLA Piper Expands in Peru to Boost 'Brand Equity'," Big Law Business, March 28, 2017
- "Roger Meltzer: From Representing Drexel Burnham to DLA Piper Co-Chair," Big Law Business, March 3, 2017
- "Chairs of Morgan Lewis and DLA Piper Interview Each Other," Bloomberg Law, July 14, 2016
- "To Breed Leaders and Keep Clients Happy, Firms Go Back to School," The American Lawyer, July 1, 2016
- "Roger Meltzer Of DLA Piper, On Law Firm Legacies, China, And Defining The 'Global Elite'," Forbes, Oct 19, 2015
- Interview, "DLA Piper Co-Chair On Dentons, China and Laterals," Bloomberg BNA, July 17, 2015
- Interview, "DLA Piper: Still in "Growth Mode", Seeking "Escape Velocity," Mimesis Law, Oct 23, 2014
Roger came to DLA Piper from a prominent New York-based law firm, where he had practiced since completing law school and where he served as a member of that firm's executive committee. Upon joining DLA Piper, he became the first global chair of its Corporate and Finance practice.
Memberships And Affiliations
Roger serves on the advisory board of Harvard Law School's Center on the Legal Profession and on the board of directors of The Legal Aid Society. He also serves on the board of trustees of New York University Law School and the corporate advisory board of Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. He previously served on the board of American Lawyer Media and The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. He also served as chairman of the board of Coinmach Service Corporation and in senior leadership roles with various charitable organizations.