Lex Oosterling has over 20 years’ experience of helping banks and other credit providers, private equity houses and borrowers with a wide range of international financing transactions.
He focuses on acquisition/leveraged finance, corporate lending, real estate finance and structured finance transactions as well as the financial restructuring of such transactions.
In addition, Lex has broad experience representing both sellers and purchasers on all aspects relating to the sale, purchase and financing of domestic and pan-European loan portfolio transactions.
Lex joined DLA Piper in 2003 and has been a partner since 2012. He led the firm’s Finance and Projects practice in the Netherlands, one of the country’s largest debt finance groups, for over eight years. He has also worked in the firm’s London office. Since 2021, Lex is the Managing Partner for DLA Piper in the Netherlands.
Lex has previously been seconded to GE Artesia Bank, ING Bank and Rabobank as well as to Travelex (London), experiences that have all deepened his understanding of the financial sector.
Being a true sportsman, teamwork is key for Lex. He strives, together with his team, the client and the other party, to achieve the best possible results for all parties. He is committed to building longstanding relationships and has an in-depth understanding of his clients' needs and wishes.
Lex's experience includes advising:
- Senior and junior lenders in connection with the refinancing of You Sure, part of Synergia Capital’s portfolio
- A club of two lenders in connection with the financing of the acquisition of Tromp Medical by Capital A
- A consortium of domestic and internationally based lenders in connection with the financing of the acquisition of Odin Groep by Fortino Capital
- A term/RCF lender and an ABL lender in connection with the acquisition/ABL financing combination provided to the Brand Masters group, now part of Avedon Capital Partners’ portfolio
- Two term/RCF lenders and two ABL lenders in connection with the acquisition/ABL financing combination provided to the Wasco group, now part of Gilde Equity Management's portfolio
- An American multinational investment bank in relation to a bridging loan to Feyenoord Rotterdam to assist with the development of its new football stadium
- HEMA’s works council in connection with the comprehensive financial restructuring to deleverage HEMA’s capital structure
- Various lender groups and borrower groups on the restructuring of the existing finance package, including the introduction of (Dutch State guaranteed) GO-C Facilities in light of liquidity shortfalls as a result of COVID-19
- The relevant lenders in connection with the financing of the Nederlandse Energiespaarfonds, a special purpose fund set up to stimulate homeowners (and related associations) taking energy reduction and sustainable measures for their respective properties in The Netherlands
- Gilde Equity Management in connection with the financing of the Actief Interim Group provided by various lenders (including various Belgian banks and institutional investors)
- HPS Investment Partners in connection with the financing of the acquisition by Bencis Capital of Fit4Free
- A consortium of three lenders in connection with the financing of the acquisition of Unica Group by Triton, as well as the subsequent add-on acquisition of Nsecure by Unica Group
- The mandated lead arrangers and senior lenders in connection with the senior/mezzanine financing of the acquisition of Main Energie by Audax
- Lone Star on the acquisition, together with its consortium partner J.P Morgan, of the Dutch bank Propertize with a balance sheet of approx. EUR4 billion
- FMS Wertmanagement in connection with the sale of a cross-border loan real estate portfolio to Goldman Sachs
- Grotius Academy, Insolvency (cum laude), 2010
- Grotius Academy, Financing and Security rights (cum laude), 2007
- VU University Amsterdam, Law School, 2002
- VU University Amsterdam, Civil Notarial Law, 2002
Awards and recognitions
- Notable Practitioner, Banking and Financial Services, the Netherlands, IFLR1000 2022
- Ranked lawyer, Banking & Finance, the Netherlands, Chambers Global and Europe 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Banking & Finance, the Netherlands, The Legal 500 EMEA 2022
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises The Kingfish Company on its successful unsecured convertible loan raise
6 July 2023 .1 minute read
DLA Piper advises Rabo Carbon Bank on sale of voluntary carbon credits to Vattenfall,...
13 April 2022 .2 minute read