Ross McKean has over 20 years’ experience advising on data protection, privacy and cyber security law and co-chairs the UK data protection and cyber response practice. He advises clients across a wide range of sectors, notably those in the financial services, defense and technology sectors. Ross is an active member of the data protection committee of the International Regulatory Strategy Group and the Data Law Committee of the City of London Law Society.
- Advising various global financial services institutions on cyber security and data breach preparedness and response including advising on GDPR, NISD, PSDII and other security requirements, policy drafting, table top exercises, notifications to regulators and affected individuals and defending regulatory enforcement actions and litigation.
- Advising numerous clients on the development of security policies to address the security requirements of GDPR and related laws across the EEA and globally, frequently engaging expert data protection and cyber counsel from across the DLA Piper global network to develop regional or global policies.
- Acting as standing counsel to support incident response for a leading global retail and investment bank, supporting the investigation, containment and remediation of incidents, advising on global notification requirements and advising on regulatory investigations.
- Advising a leading global investment and retail bank on their GDPR programme which has lasted more than 18 months (to date) with support provided by over 30 DLA Piper lawyers globally.
- Advising another leading global private wealth management and investment bank on their global GDPR programme over a similar period with a global team of DLA Piper lawyers.
- Advising one of the largest global defence businesses on its global GDPR readiness programme, leading an international team of DLA Piper lawyers.
- Nottingham University, Law
- Individually ranked in Chambers for data protection (band 3) and outsourcing (band 2)
- Co-author of the International Regulatory Strategy Group’s example GDPR processor terms, June 2017
- Brexit: Impact on data protection, November 2016
- Ross is a regular speaker on cyber security, incident response, GDPR and data protection.
- 2016 to date, DLA Piper
- 2012 to 2016, London based European technology law firm
- 1996 to 2012, International law firm
Co-chairs the award winning DLA Piper data protection and cyber practice in the UK and was instrumental in the development of the global DLA Piper GDPR methodology and toolset. Ross and his team have advised on some of the largest and most complex GDPR programmes.