Kathryn WardOf Counsel
Kathryn has great knowledge in post accident legal liability, and has particular experience in handling the legal aftermath of major air accidents on behalf of airlines, operators, product manufacturers and MROs.
She also regularly represents airports and ground handlers in claims involving IATA standard ground handling agreements or otherwise. In addition, Kathryn is regularly instructed in the field of general aviation and on insurance coverage.
In a commercial context, Kathryn represents carriers and aviation service providers in contractual disputes and advises on issues surrounding aircraft ownership, leasing and re-possession.
Kathryn defends numerous carriers in passenger claims brought against them based on the Montreal Convention 1999, EU Regulation 261/04 and EU Regulation 1107/06. She advises on the bulk handling of passenger claims, enforcement action by regulatory bodies such as the CAA and has particular experience in representing carriers in claims in the English Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Kathryn has wide experience in both domestic and international litigation and has handled claims arising out of incidents and accidents in the UK, Europe, CIS, South America, Asia and Africa. In addition to litigation, Kathryn also represents parties in international arbitrations as well as alternative forms of dispute resolution, such as mediation and direct negotiation. She is a Spanish speaker and much of her work focuses on Latin America.
- Representing Cubana de Aviacion and its insurers in the crash of a Global Air operated B737 200 which crashed upon take off at Jose Marti International Airport, Havana, in May 2018.
- Representing a major helicopter manufacturer in respect of death claims and hull claim arising out of the crash of a H125 helicopter off the coast of Norway in April 2016.
- Representing a major aircraft manufacturer in English jurisdiction proceedings against a carrier's insurers claiming loss due to the heavy landing of an Airbus A320-200 in September 2013 in Rome.
- Representing an Indonesian ground handler in a claim against it by two carriers which collided on the runway at Halim Perdanakusuma International Airport, Jakarta in April 2016.
- Representing the pilot of an MD Skyraider aircraft in a collision with a Mustang at an air show in July 2011.
- Representing the insurers of the operator of an Alpi Pioneer 400 aircraft which crashed on approach to Popham Airfield in January 2015.
- Representing insurers of the operator of a Socata TBM 700A aircraft which crashed on a flight from Kempen Airport in the Netherlands to Mandelieu Airport in France in April 2013.
- Representing the directors of various insurers threatened with criminal proceedings arising out of the crash of a Hawker Siddeley 748 aircraft in Africa in 2004.
- Representing a South African bank in relation to the repossession of two aircraft operated by a carrier which defaulted on the mortgage in 2009.
- Representing a major UK carrier in a commercial dispute with an airport in relation to its decision to withdraw its base from the airport in 2006.
- Sheffield University, BA (Hons) Law
- Nottingham Law School, Spanish Diploma in Legal Practice
- Corporate Rescue and Insolvency - "Enforcement Issues in the Aviation Industry Part II" - 1 April 2011
- Privacy Information Law Report - June 2008 - Volume 9 Issue 6
- Protection of Passenger Data: The Continuing Struggle between the EU and US
- Air Space Law Vol XXXVIII/3 (June 2003) - Warsaw Convention - Article 17
My latest insights
Bott & Co Solicitors Ltd v Ryanair DAC – Supreme Court reverses Court of Appeal decision...
22 March 2022 .8 minute read