Dr Michael Stulz-HerrnstadtPartner
Dr Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt is a highly regarded professional in the field of regulatory and public commercial law, in particular in the media, telecommunications, entertainment and gaming sectors.
His practice focuses on advising national and international companies on media regulation law (broadcasting, telecommunications, online, media anti-trust, youth protection, advertising and information access laws), on raffle and gaming laws, on postal and transport law as well as on constitutional law.
Michael regularly represents his clients before regulatory authorities and in administrative courts. He has extensive litigation experience and has successfully guided his clients through lengthy landmark proceedings all the way to the Federal Administrative Court and the Federal Constitutional Court. Furthermore, Michael has significant experience in corporate fine proceedings.
- Advising and representing one of Europe’s largest media groups with respect to numerous regulatory landmark proceedings before the regulatory authorities and the administrative courts (e.g. concerning broadcasting licenses, media concentration and media anti-trust law, protection of minors, regulation of advertising)
- Advising and representing an international telecommunications provider in respect of dispute settlement proceedings before the regulatory authority in the area of the "Internet of Things"
- Advising and representing a leading news publishing house regarding landmark proceedings before the Federal Administrative Court concerning information access rights
- Advising international and national companies in respect of the entire range of gaming law (e.g. concerning licensing, youth protection law, regulation of advertising)
- Advising and representing a leading publishing house regarding (regulated) postal and transport law and contractual issues
- Representing companies from various regulated sectors (e.g. entertainment, telecommunications, fashion, aviation, including regarding data protection law) in over 100 administrative fine proceedings
- Universities of Göttingen and of Vienna, First State Examination, 1998
- Higher Regional Court of Hamburg, Second State Examination, 2004
- University of Göttingen, Ph.D., 2003
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for technology and media: media regulation (band 1) as well as for constitutional and economic administrative law; “top media regulator”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for media: entertainment (including gaming: band 1); “Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt has many years of experience in media law and provides reliable, creative and practical advice. He responds quickly and efficiently and is very pleasant.”; 2020: "represents clients in fundamental regulatory matters before the higher courts with outstanding expertise and an impressive success rate"; 2019: "one of the top addresses for gaming law in Germany"
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for media law
- Who’s Who Legal 2022: Recognized as Global Leader “Telecoms & Media” and National Leader “German - Data”
- Kanzleimonitor 2020/2021: Recommended for media law
Michael is a frequent speaker in the fields of media, regulation and gambling law, as well as the author of numerous publications in these fields.
- "Only claims for information under simple law against the Federal Court of Audit", On the BVerwG judgment of 28 October 2021, GRUR-Prax 2022, 176 (together with Fabian Jeschke)
- "Limits of Public Relations by Public Authorities in the Case of Corporate Fines", On the Judgment of the OVG Münster v. 17.5.201, GRUR-Prax 2021, 499 (together with Fabian Jeschke)
- "No Repayment of Losses in Online Gambling", On the Judgment of the LG München v. 13.4.2021, GRUR-Prax 2021, 424 (together with Prof. Dr. Stefan Engels and Christoph Engelmann)
- "New German State Media Treaty enters into force”, MSE Today – Media, Sport and Entertainment Insights, 10. November 2020
- "State Treaty on Gambling: A New Round in the Game of Chance," Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of 25.05.2021 (together with Prof Dr Stefan Engels)
- Chapter on gambling regulation in the handbook "Getting the Deal Through", Gaming Germany, 2020 edition (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "New rules for media services: The long road to fair competition", Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of 21.11.2019 (with Prof Dr Stefan Engels)
- "Internet ban on poker and casino games complies with EU law", Comments on the judgment of the Federal Administrative Court of 26.10.2017, GRUR-Prax 2018, 267 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "The new German Anti Money-Laundering Act – Impact on Gambling Operators", ZfWG 2017, 475 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "Sports betting intermediation permitted with EU-concession in North Rhine-Westphalia", Comments on the judgment of the Higher Administrative Court Muenster of 23.1.2017, GRUR-Prax 2017, 132 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "Unlawful prohibition of sports betting‘, Comments on the judgment of the Federal Administrative Court of 15.6.2016", GRUR-Prax 2016, 542 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "Public sports betting monopoly persists in practice contrary to EU law", Comments on the judgment of the European Court of Justice of 4.2.2016 – ''Ince'', GRUR-Prax 2016, 106 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "Media anti-trust law", AfP 2013- 2015 (ongoing), (with Jörg Witting, Martin Jäger, Judith Hoffmann)
- "Unconstitutionality of sections of the State Treaty on Games of Chance", Comments on the judgment of the Bavarian Constitutional Court of 25.9.2015, GRUR-Prax 2015, 491 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "No prohibition of advertising for sports betting on TV", Comments on the judgment of the Higher Administrative Court Munich of 2.4.2015, ZfWG 2015, 250 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "„Weather betting“ is no public game of chance", Comments on the judgment of the Federal Administrative Court of 9.7.2014, GRUR-Prax 2014, 445 (with Christoph Engelmann)
- "Singular course of Schleswig-Holstein causes no incoherence of the State Treaty on Games of Chance", Comments on the judgment of the European Court of Justice of 12.6.2014 – “Digibet”, GRUR-Prax 2014, 310 (with Christoph Engelmann)
Memberships And Affiliations
- German-French Lawyer Association
- Association of European Lawyers from University of Göttingen
My latest insights
DLA Piper represents ProSieben before the Higher Administrative Court of Berlin...
5 September 2022 .3 minute read
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read