Dr. Gerry BeanPartner
Gerry advises clients on M&A, joint ventures, restructurings and ESOPs/ LTIs.
Gerry has more than 25 years' experience particularly in highly regulated industries, namely energy, health and the industrials sectors. He has had key roles in a number of large and complex M&A transactions and restructurings. This includes leading and managing due diligence and acquisition teams and applying for FIRB and other regulatory approvals. Gerry is also a company director and advises, and presents, on corporate governance and ESG issues. He has advised boards of both large and small corporations, government departments and agencies, and not-for-profit entities.
Gerry was the lead author for report, Technical Review of the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006, for the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet and ORIC. Gerry led the team advising on and establishing the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria.
He is an active contributor to our pro bono program.
- Successfully acted for a leading medical defence organisation in its ground breaking merger by scheme of arrangement
- Successfully ran the High Court test cases of FCT v Spriggs and FCT v Riddell, breaking new ground in deductibility of player agent fees
- Leading a team on behalf of a leading medical defence organisation in the AUD654 million scheme of arrangement merger, which was the first merger of medical defence companies being companies limited by guarantee
- Leading the team, advising and negotiating on a power company's largest ever procurement (AUD330 + million) for IT services, Smart Meter Procurement and installation services for the introduction of smart meters for the city of Melbourne and the western half of Victoria
- Advising on the interpretation of service contracts and liability issues for the Basslink Interconnector
- Joint Ventures and Fiduciary Relationships, Oxford University Press, 1995
- Trusts Law, with G Moffatt and R Probert (5th Edition 2009) Cambridge University Press
- Frequent contributor to CCH Tax Week and Thomson's Weekly Tax Bulletin.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chair, Law Institute of Victoria, Tax and Revenue Committee
- Fellow of the Taxation Institute of Australia
- Law Institute of Victoria, State Taxes Committee
- Law Council Tax Committee (immediate past National Chair)
- Cambridge Society
- Monash University Alumni
- Gerry is active in a number of ATO working groups.