Anne BuchananSpecial Counsel
Anne Buchanan is an experienced lawyer with a strong focus in environment, resource management and local government law.
Anne has advised private sector clients, including large corporates and industries, as well as local government. She has assisted clients from a wide range of sectors including aquaculture, forestry/horticulture, transportation, mining and energy.
Anne has experience in resource consent issues, designations, plan drafting and interpretation and also provides advice on decision making processes and judicial review. She has represented clients at council level and in the Environment Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acted for Auckland Council in the Environment Court appeals about the Auckland Unitary Plan rural subdivision provisions and the appropriate location of the Rural Urban Boundary and zoning of land in Okura.
- Acted for Auckland Council in its High Court appeal regarding the Auckland Unitary Plan rural subdivision provisions.
- Acted for Auckland Council in its successful defence of a civil action by a landowner in the District Court, relating to various claims against the Council for activities alleged to have caused the landowner damage and loss of use and enjoyment of the property.
- Provided advice to Auckland Council on Public Works Act compensation issues in the context of a large roading and redevelopment project for Manukau City Centre.
- Obtained requiring authority status and a designation for the Wiri Oil Service Limited Terminal.
- Provided advice to Cornwall Park Trust Board on the interpretation of valuation provisions in ground leases and successfully defended declaratory judgment proceedings brought in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court by an association representing the Board's leaseholders.
- Represented McCallum Bros Limited successfully opposing appeals in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court against coastal permits for sand extraction activities granted to McCallum Bros by the Environment Court.
- Acted for Northport Limited in relation to changes to existing resource consents for the Port.
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Summer 2023, 21 March 2022
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Winter 2022, 14 September 2022
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Autumn 2022, 19 June 2022
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Summer 2022, 4 April 2022
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Spring 2021, 2 December 2021
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - Spring 2020, 23 September 2020
- Public Decision Making Newsletter - July 2020, 15 July 2020
- Anne has legal experience both in New Zealand and the United Kingdom and also previously worked as a linguistic consultant and trainer with an international non-profit organisation.
Memberships And Affiliations
- New Zealand Law Society
- Resource Management Law Association