With over 15 years of experience advising companies, national and international organizations on all aspects of labor law, immigration and human resources, Cecilia specializes in hiring, reorganizing, and managing complex layoffs; adapting corporate policies to local laws; implementing changes in organizations; inspections and labor procedures; inductions for critical conversations; and the prevention and resolution of conflicts.
Likewise, Cecilia leads focused labor audits and due diligence; labor compliance; and occupational health and safety. In addition, she offers clients advice on hiring foreign personnel; global mobility of Peruvians abroad, and migration procedures.
- Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
Doctor of Law (2016)
Department of Labor and Social Security Law. Thesis "The flexible organization of working time: mechanisms and alternatives in the Peruvian labor order," qualified with Outstanding cum laude
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
Bachelor’s degree in law (1998)
Tenth top of the class
- International Labor Organization and Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
III Postgraduate course in Labor Relations (2005)
- Leaders League: Tier 4 and "Recommended" in Labour & Employment (2019-2021)
- Chambers Latin America
- Band 2, Peru Labour & Employment (2024)
- Band 3, Peru Labour & Employment (2023)
- Band 4, Peru Labour & Employment (2022)
- Band 5, Peru Labour & Employment (2020-2021)
Chambers comments, "Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón wins praise from a client, who describes her as 'an excellent professional who doesn't just give you advice, but also gets involved with the needs of the company.' They also say that 'her attention is immediate and she always looks for the best solutions for us.'"
- "Sexual Harassment: ¿How to deal with a complaint between two co-workers who have had a romantic relationship?" By Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, Partner (Lima). CAPLAE, February 2022. Read it here >>
- "Analyzing the changes proposed by the Government in Labor matters" Interview to partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, leader of the Labor practice in Peru by APERHU (Peruvian Association of Human Resources) Read the interview here >>
- "Hybrid workspaces and return to offices" By partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón. APERHU Magazine, September 2021. Read more here >>
- "¿Regular el tiempo de trabajo? Una reflexión a propósito del horario flexible.” Partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón (Lima), Laborem No. 24/2021, pg. 201-225., April 2021. Read more here >>
- On February 16, our partner Cecilia Guzman-Barron, leader of the Labor area at DLA Piper Peru, participated in a webinar organized in conjunction with APERHU - Peruvian Association of Human Resources, in which she tells us some details about the dismissal of people in companies. More info here >>
- On February 23, the discussion "Positive impact of the pandemic on different branches of Law. What should be maintained as good practices?" was held, organized by the Legal Sector of the Services Guild of the Lima Chamber of Commerce. Moderated by our partner Hernán Jordán and with the participation of Cecilia Guzman-Barron (partner in the labor area), Erik Lind (partner in the Tax area) and Victor Velasquez Vela, Principal Associate in the Projects and Infrastructure area. More info here >>
- On March 1st, we held the Webinar ¿Qué sí y qué no se puede contratar vía tercerización (outsourcing)? Organized by the Labor and Employment team. Watch on demand here >> More info here >>
- Last March 8, in commemoration of Women's Day, the Gender and Diversity Committee of DLA Piper Peru organized a virtual event in which we shared experiences and leadership samples of four exceptional women in the legal field. More info here >>
- Partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón participated on the webinar "Hybrid and remote work in LatAm jurisdictions: Addressing the challenges" organized by DLA Piper on October 28th More info here >>
- Partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón participated as speaker on the HR Management Congress organized by APERHU on the 20th and 21st of October.
- Partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón participated as speaker in the II Labor Law Congress organized by THĒMIS in which she will talk about the possibility that vaccination is mandatory in Peru for workers on August 5th, 2021. See more here >>
- Partner and leader of labor area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, together with Diana Zuleta Martínez - Director of the Labor practice at DLA Piper Martínez Beltrán in Colombia, met to discuss the relevant aspects of the Andean Migratory Statute on June 28. Watch it here >>
- Partner and leader of Labor area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, participated as panelist along the members of the Employment team of DLA Piper LatAm Law, in a webinar about Vaccination in Latam on June 2nd. Watch it here >>
- Partner and leader of Labor area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, participated as speaker along an all-female panel of experts virtual workshop organized by Universidad de Piura on May 17th, 18th and 19th.
- Partner and leader of Labor area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón and Principal associate, Daniel Flores, are participating as speakers on the Specialization program in Business Compliance. It goes from May 26th to July 21st.
- Cecilia Guzman-Barron, partner and leader of the Labor area, comments for Diario Gestión about how to carry out an adequate separation from work. Read it here >>
- Published in Diario Gestión, partner Cecilia Guzman-Barron -leader of the Labor area- comments on the bills that would have an impact on the labor market. Read it here >>
- Cecilia Guzman-Barron, partner and leader of the Labor and Immigration area at DLA Piper Peru, comments on the new provisions in the vaccination scheme, mainly in the agricultural sector for Diario Gestión (printed version). Read the note here >>
- Partner Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, leader of the Labor practice, gives her point of view on the current uncertainty in labor policies in Peru for Día 1, publication by the newspaper El Comercio. Read the note here >>
- Partner and leader of Labour area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, gave her opinion on the new approved peruvian law for long-distance working for Diario El Comercio. Read more >>
- Partner and leader of Labour area, Cecilia Guzmán-Barrón, gives her opinion on the new "Vaccine Tourism". Read more >>
- Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Peruvian Society of Labor Law and Social Security
- Leadership, Strategy and Human Resources Professor at CENTRUM Católica (2003 – September 2017)
- Labor and Social Security Law Master course Professor at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (August 2019 - To date)
- Professor of various courses in the Labor Department at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (2002- up to date)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Women in the Legal Profession (WIP-Peru)
- International Organization of Women in Business (OWIT-Peru)
- Peruvian Society of Labor Law and Social Security
- Lima Bar Association