David Manson advises stakeholders across the capital structure in work out negotiations, liability management transactions, special situations opportunities, and complex UK and cross border restructurings.
He has extensive experience in distressed M&A, as well as the planning and execution of both pre-packaged, pre-arranged and freefall insolvency outcomes both in the UK and overseas. His practice also encompasses advising on new money situations, including acting for credit funds and other investors in the deployment of capital in stressed and distressed situations.
- Advising an ad hoc group of senior secured noteholders in connection with the debt restructuring and distressed M&A process for Norwegian industrial paper manufacturer, Norske Skog AG.*
- Advising the trustee of bonds in connection with claims brought by bondholders in connection with a restructuring of a large Ukrainian bank.*
- Advising a private equity fund in connection with certain non performing loan opportunities in the Maritime sector.*
- Advising senior lenders to a UK headquartered oil and gas company in connection with its restructuring and subsequent entry into Irish examinership.*
- Advising majority lenders on a USD1billion plus restructure in the maritime sector to deliver the sector’s largest out of court restructuring at the time, creating one of the world’s largest tanker companies and reducing the debt burden of the company from USD1.4billion to approximately USD561million.*
- Acting for funds in connection with their investment strategies in relation to a large UK and global casual dining operator.*
- Advising a credit fund on the development of a contingency plan strategy for the enforcement using its secured collateral of a European share pledge, in connection with a European toy manufacturer.*
- Advising the board of a market leader in outdoor mobile phone technology on their responsibilities and options for: capital raising, securing buy-in from their PE sponsor and on their role and responsibility in effecting an operational and balance sheet restructuring. *
- Advising lenders to Danaos Shipping in connection with its ultimate debt restructuring.*
- Advising Zlomrex International Finance SA (ZIF) on the restructuring of its senior secured notes by way of the innovative use of an English scheme of arrangement for the restructuring of its NY law governed indebtedness.*
*Denotes experience from previous firm.
- Nottingham University, BA Law & Politics, 2000
- Recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency by Legal 500 UK, 2020: “Very well respected”.
- Rising Star, Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers London
- Restructuring Deal of the Year: Torm AS, Marine Money, 2016
- Shipping Debt Deal of the Year Middle East: UASC EMTC, Global Transport Finance, 2015
- "Restructuring & Beyond: The marine industry's routes to safety"
David has regularly worked with businesses, boards, creditors and funds, across an array of sectors and jurisdictions in connection with both UK, and cross border restructuring transactions as well as rescue capital opportunities. He also has extensive sector experience including across the Maritime and Transportation sectors, and has been involved in many restructurings in the Energy sector.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of Law Society
- Member of ILA
- Member of R3