Shirley Magniez-Pouget practices in the area of international law, with particular focus on ESG, business and human rights and business ethics.
Shirley advises companies and non-for-profit organisations in the design of compliance programmes- from policy drafting, establishing grievance mechanisms to running trainings. Her practice focuses on assisting clients in strengthening local structures of governance and helping them create rights-respecting culture within their operations. A number of Shirley’s recent mandates relate to identification and mitigation of social risks in the conservation and environmental sector. She provides ad hoc support to various teams across DLA, including data and privacy, anti-bribery and corruption and government affairs.
Shirley has 16 years + experience in human rights and grand corruption litigation, partnership and programme development in emerging economies, government affairs, legal advocacy and strategies. Shirley has in depth experience of regional and international human rights systems of human rights, including UN mechanisms (Human Rights Council, UPR, Treaty bodies, UN Working groups) and the European Convention system of human rights.
Shirley works with both commercial and pro bono clients to establish high impact, international cross-sector Shared Value projects that have the potential to create social and environmental impacts.
- Harvard Business School, Certificate of completion for Purpose and Profit: Creating Shared Value 2021
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Master of Laws in International Corporate Governance, Financial Regulations and Economic Law (LLM), Merits, 2016
- Post-Graduate diploma in law, International legal Field Officer, (International Human Rights law Rule of Law and good governance) Université of Aix-en-Provence (France) 2003
French Maîtrise in International Public and European Law, Université of Aix-en-Provence (France) 2001
- International Bar Association’s In-House Perspective magazine, contribution to feature piece on human rights mandatory due diligence (forthcoming)
- DLA Piper, Le Guide du Numérique IA, « Parité et Intelligence Artificielle » (forthcoming)
- DLA Piper, Le Guide du Numérique IA, « Droit compare sur l’encadrement juridique de l’Intelligence Articielle » forthcoming)
- DLA Piper, the European Commission proposal for the Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive (February 2022).
- DLA Piper, UN human rights bodies unequivocally confirm link between climate change, a healthy environment and human rights (2021)
- Series of seminars for masters’ students on business and human rights (forthcoming)
- Conference on Business and Human Rights: towards a European Duty of Vigilance, University of Law Aix en Provence (2022)
- Training on ESG for wide range of stakeholders, including in house counsels and civil society actors (2021)
- Training on digital rights for lawyers acting for journalists in Western Africa (2021)
- Advised members of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on various issues, including the execution of European Court of Human Rights cases through the filing of rule 9 and regular briefings.
- Advised a Parliamentary Committee and the legal profession of an emerging economy (Myanmar) on the establishment of an national and independent bar association.
- Ran high level fact-finding missions including to Syria, Myanmar and Zambia for the International Bar Association.
- Convened the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute Taskforce on Illicit Financial Flows and Human Rights.
- Commissioned to observe and report on Equatorial Guinea's Vice President Teodorin Obiang trial in France.
- Served as Member of Cabinet of Andre Vallini, former President of General Council of Isere and former Secretary of State and former Senator (France).
- Advised non for profit organisation on formation, governance and fundraising (France).
Memberships And Affiliations
- International Organisation Liaison Officer, International Bar Association’s Human Rights Law Committee
- Board member, Burma Campaign UK
- The Lawyers Circle, a network advocating for the rights of the most vulnerable women and girls across the world
- ATLAS, a network supporting women embarking in a career in international public law
My latest insights
New legislation and guidance needed to address corruption and integrity risks in climate...
18 October 2023 .4 minute read
Corruption and Integrity Risks in Climate Action panel discussion
18 September 2023 .3 minute read