Marc A. HorwitzPartner
Marc Horwitz regularly advises domestic corporations and multinational financial institutions on all aspects of derivatives and structured financial products.
Marc concentrates his practice on representing domestic corporations, multinational banks and insurance companies in swap and derivative transactions as well as other financial products. He also represents corporations, banks and other financial institutions—both local and multinational—in other structured finance transactions as well as custody arrangements, global and domestic repurchase agreements, securities lending arrangements and exchange traded futures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Regularly advises major US, non-US and multinational corporations, banks, insurance companies and municipalities on the documentation, settlement and close-out of swap and other over-the-counter derivative transactions (including currency, interest rate, equity, commodity, carbon emissions and credit derivative transactions) pursuant to the ISDA Master Agreement and related documentation.
- Regularly advises major US, non-US and multinational corporations, financial institutions, insurance companies and municipalities on documentation of domestic and global repurchase agreements, custody arrangements, collateral management arrangements, securities lending arrangements, cleared derivatives arrangements, and futures, options and other securities account agreements.
- Regularly advises financial institutions, corporations, hedge funds, insurance companies and municipalities on regulatory and compliance issues arising under the derivatives provisions of the Dodd Frank Act.
- Regularly advises major US, non-US and multinational corporations, financial institutions, insurance companies and municipalities on all aspects of the transition from inter-bank offered rates such as LIBOR to risk-free reference rates such as SOFR.
- Advises major banks and corporations on supply chain finance, factoring and receivables finance transactions.
- J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law 1994
- B.A., Economics, University of Michigan 1991
The Legal 500 United States has repeatedly recognized Marc for the quality of his work in the US in derivatives and structured products. The directory has noted that he is "'insightful,' 'efficient,' 'proactive' and always 'up-to-date with evolving and complex elements in the derivatives field.'" He has a "very strong background and excellent understanding of current business issues impacting the derivatives market."
- Author, "Overview: US Resolution Stay Rules and the ISDA® 2018 US Resolution Stay Protocol," Thomson Reuters, October 12, 2018
- Co-author, "ISDA 2016 Variation Margin Protocol: Margin Rules Compliance Guide-United States," The Journal on the Law of Investment & Risk Management Products, Vol. 36, Issue 11, Dec 2016
- Co-author, "Life on the margin: US margin rules finalized at last," Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2016
- Co-author, "The Waiting Is the Hardest Part: The CFTC Issues Final Rule Defining Swap Dealer and Major Swap Participant," Practical International Corporate Finance Strategies, April 30, 2012
- "Dodd-Frank Issues for EU Market Participants," IFE Benelux EMIR Conference, Brussels, December 6, 2013
- "Dodd-Frank Issues for EU Market Participants," LFE Benelux EMIR Conference, Luxembourg, December 5, 2013
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Marc was head of the North American derivatives practice at another large global law firm.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises BASF on global carve-out of mobile emissions catalysts and precious...
18 September 2023 .5 minute read
ISDA amends notice provision, aligns treatment of CSAs’ illegality and force majeure...
17 July 2023 .2 minute read