Trade-mark Agent (Canada)
Richard Mar practises all aspects of acquisition, transfer and protection of intellectual property rights with a concentration on patent counselling and prosecution. Richard is admitted to the bar in British Columbia, Ontario and New York and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Richard assists clients with patentability and infringement opinions, drafting licensing agreements, and enforcing intellectual property rights. He is highly skilled in drafting and prosecuting patent applications and developing a global patent filing strategy for clients in a wide variety of technology areas including computer software and hardware, artificial intelligence, financial technologies (business methods/blockchain), virtualization technology, electrical products and integrated circuits, semiconductor manufacturing equipment and processes, medical devices, and mechanical fields. He has drafted hundreds of patent applications for clients ranging from sole inventors to large multinational corporations with well-established patent programs. He also has experience in assisting clients with enforcement of their intellectual property rights in Canada and internationally.
Richard is an active member of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC). He is an instructor for IPIC’s Patent Agent Training Course and trains the next generation of patent agents. In addition, he is Chair of the Young Practitioner’s Committee where he oversees multiple subcommittees to further the mandate of the committee by providing networking opportunities, professional development webinars, and establishing outreach programs to raise awareness of IP to students and young practitioners.
- Acted for Wenco International Mining Systems in its acquisition of the business wearables assets and intellectual property relating to SmartCap Technologies Pty Ltd.
- Developed a patent filing strategy to create value for a local Computer Learning startup that was eventually bought by one of the largest tech companies in the world.
- Advised a financial services corporation on IP matters as part of patent committee to identify potential inventions as well as to identify risks from competitor patent portfolios.
- Represented several major fashion designers to enforce trademark rights against infringers.
- Represented client’s successful defense (with a UK firm) of its patent ownership. The Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (“IPEC”) ruled in favour of PCK IP Lawyers’ client and decided it was entitled to the ownership of its PCT Application. Citation Number:  EWHC 1302 (IPEC).
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
- M.Sc., (Physics), University of British Columbia, 2004
- B.Sc., (Combined Honours Physics and Chemistry), University of British Columbia, 2001
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Ontario, 2011
- Law Society of British Columbia, 2010
- New York State Bar, 2010
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Associate, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
My latest insights
USPTO expands admission criteria to patent bar for design patent practitioners
22 November 2023 .5 minute read
Large increases to Canadian Intellectual Property Office fees coming January 1, 2024
7 November 2023 .2 minute read