Dr. Au is a Senior Scientific Advisor with a Ph.D. in Applied Physics, focusing his practice on patent litigation in a wide range of technologies with particular emphasis on laser optical systems, telecommunications, nanotechnology, semiconductor fabrication and materials science.
The depth and breadth of Dr. Au's technical background allows him to quickly understand and identify relevant technical issues related to any technology in the physical sciences and engineering in many patent disputes.
Dr. Au has more than six years' experience advising on intellectual property disputes related to a broad spectrum of technologies in consumer electronics, including semiconductor fabrication, digital cameras and camcorders, still image and video compression technologies, telecommunication and value-added applications in mobile handsets, liquid crystal display technology (LCDs), light emitting diode technology (LEDs), digital video recorders (DVRs), interactive television, GPS navigation systems, data compression and encoding for use on wireless networks, optical amplifiers and microprocessor hardware components.
In litigation matters, Dr. Au has worked on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. His familiarity with both the technical and legal issues offers insight to lawyers on the litigation team, the clients’ engineering team and testifying experts in developing optimal litigation strategies, particularly regarding shaping clients’ claim construction, validity and infringement positions.
Dr. Au earned his doctorate in Applied Physics at the California Institute of Technology within the Physical Measurement and Control Group, where his research interests included the state-of-the-art design and fabrication of nanometer-scaled optical cavities for studying the interaction between a single atom with a single photon, as well as the implementation of a real-time adaptive optical phase measurement protocol whose precision surpassed the standard quantum limit. His work was multi-disciplinary in nature and involved an in-depth knowledge of a diverse array of technologies, including advanced computational algorithms, continuous wave and pulsed laser optical systems, wide-bandwidth real-time digital signal processing, RF signal processing, channel coding and source coding techniques for data communications, vacuum systems and the fabrication and characterization of semiconductor devices.
Dr. Au is not a lawyer.
- Motorola Mobility Inc. et al. v. TiVo Inc. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represent DVR manufacturers in litigation involving six patents related to DVR technologies
- Alexsam Inc. v. Best Buy Stores LP et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represent retailer in patent infringement action involving remote gift card activation technology
- EON Corp. IP Holdings LLC v. FLO TV Inc. et al. (District of Delaware) – Represent mobile handset manufacturer in patent litigation and co-pending reexamination proceedings involving wireless interactive television technology
- Garnet Digital v. Apple Inc. et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represented mobile handset manufacturer in patent litigation involving interactive terminals for data communication over telephone networks
- Alfred B. Levine v. Samsung Telecommunications America LLC et al. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represented mobile handset manufacturer in patent litigation involving in-vehicle navigation technology
- St. Clair Intellectual Property Consultants Inc. v. LG Electronics Inc. et al. (District of Delaware) – Represented digital camera and mobile handset manufacturers in infringement action involving four patents for digital cameras with multiple selectable output formats
- ProMOS Technologies Inc. v. Freescale Semiconductor Inc. (District of Delaware) – Represented DRAM manufacturer in patent litigation involving semiconductor processing and cache memory technologies
- Freescale Semiconductor Inc. v. ProMOS Technologies Inc. (Eastern District of Texas) – Represented DRAM manufacturer in patent litigation involving integrated circuit design and manufacturing technologies
- Ph.D., Physics, California Institute of Technology
- M.S., Applied Physics, California Institute of Technology