Nicolas Engelmann is a tax partner advising Belgian and multinational businesses, organisations and entrepreneurs on their Belgian and international tax issues.
Nicolas has extensive experience in solving complex tax issues and unlocking tax opportunities. He provides practical and business-oriented solutions, at any moment in the tax lifecycle.
He focuses on tax matters related to strategic business and legal restructuring projects, inbound and outbound investments, M&A and private equity projects and guides clients through tax audits and controversy procedures. He also assists clients in designing and maintaining sustainable tax structures with respect to profit repatriations, tax incentive applications, transfer pricing, etc.
Nicolas and his team are dedicated to always bringing value-added advice and multidisciplinary solutions – from the design phase to the tax controversy phase, during tax accounting procedures as well as in a transactional context. They work in a collaborative way with clients and stakeholders and take into account their business purpose and needs.
- Assisted a maritime organisation in reducing tax burdens related to investments and asset financing.
- Advised an international financial institution on the tax consequences related to cash pooling and factoring structures.
- Advised a global cryptocurrency exchange platform on the tax consequences of the cross-border transfer of activities and on the tax treatment of innovative and R&D activities.
- Assisted a utilities provider in the set-up of a joint venture and provided tax due diligence services related to the business of the joint venture partner.
- University of Antwerp, Master in Tax Law, 2010
- University of Antwerp, Master in law, 2009
- Updates on case law of the European Court of Justice (Actualiteiten Hof van Justitie, T.F.R. – since 2020)
- N. ENGELMANN, Y. MONDELAERS and C. LAPPEN, “Base Erosion and Profit Shifting: hertekening internationale fiscaliteit”, Fisc.I. 2015, nr. 385, 1-12
- N. ENGELMANN and H. BEGIAN, “Een decennium aftrek voor risicokapitaal: fiscaal paradepaard onder strakke teugels”, A.F.T. 2015, nr. 08-09
- N. ENGELMANN, “Zwitsers Hooggerechtshof: de vaste inrichting in het licht van de unilaterale vrijstelling van dubbele belasting”, T.F.R. 2014, nr. 459, 325-332
- N. ENGELMANN, “Belastbare stopzettingsmeerwaarden uit forfaitair belaste activiteit, T.F.R. 2013, nr. 442
- N. ENGELMANN and T. WUSTENBERGHS, “Dienst Voorafgaande Beslissingen vult de zelfstandigheidsfictie verder in”, Fisc.I. 2013, nr. 357/358, 6-15
- N. ENGELMANN and T. WUSTENBERGHS, “Winstallocatie aan vaste inrichtingen: belangrijke nieuwe inzichten”, Fisc.I. 2011, nr. 333, 1-7
- January 2022 - present, Tax Partner, DLA Piper (Brussels office)
- 2011 to 2021, Tax Lawyer, Brussels based international consulting firm
- 2012 to 2013, Academic Assistant, Antwerp University, Faculty of Law (department LLM Tax Law – under supervision of Prof. Dr. Bruno Peeters)
- 2009 to 2011, Corporate Tax Advisor, Brussels based international consulting firm
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
Belgium: Draft proposal for Belgian tax reform intends to harmonize the current VAT rates...
4 April 2023 .2 minute read