Silvia FarreSenior Associate
Silvia has a varied dispute resolution background and has acted for numerous multinational companies both on international arbitrations and in cross-border litigations. Silvia has acted for clients operating in a wide variety of sectors, including financial services, leisure and travel, electricity, mining and retail.
Silvia has experience in investment and commercial disputes and is a qualified lawyer in both Spain and England and Wales. This dual qualification and her understanding of both the civil and Anglo-Saxon legal systems put Silvia in a privileged position when legal arguments are put forward and procedures are followed under either of the two legal systems.
- Advising a major international bank in setting aside a US$50 million damages claim in respect of 170 foreign exchange trades carried out by the Claimant, in both the English High Court and Court of Appeal, principally on the basis of article 23 of Council Regulation (EC) 44/2001 and advised the bank in respect of the proceedings commenced by the Claimant's heirs in Monaco in respect of the same matter.
- Advising a major international bank in staying legal proceedings in the English High Court whilst parallel proceedings are pending in Monaco. Silvia led the application to stay proceedings in England and the liaison with local counsel in Monaco.
- Advising a major international bank in an ICC arbitration seated in Paris against its former joint venture partners (and their successors in title, including a sovereign state) in respect of an alleged indemnity payment of €75 million, triggered in the event that the annual revenue of one of the assets allocated to the bank did not reach certain thresholds and representing the bank in respect of related court proceedings commenced by the bank in Belgium respect of the same matter.
- Advising an international hospitality and services provider in respect of multi million dispute arising out of the alleged failure to provide certain services relating to a central reservation system for hotel bookings and the fulfilment of technical specifications.
- Advising a tour operator in ICC arbitration proceedings in Spain in respect of a multi million euro dispute arising from the sale of various holdings in Spain and Latin America.
- Advising an American multinational chain of fast food restaurants in respect of a multi million euro dispute with one of its franchisees in Cyprus. The dispute arose out of the franchisee’s multiple breaches of the relevant franchise agreements.
- Advising an energy major in ICC arbitration proceedings in London in respect of a multi million euro claim relating to the interpretation and application of an energy agreement in Spain.
- Advising a Spanish global IT solutions and information services provider in ICC arbitration proceedings in London in respect of a multi million euro dispute including issues relating to the exercise of a performance guarantee and arising out of an agreement with a Swedish company for the supply of transport related products for a project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a Japanese client on UK cyber security legislation and UK regulations on network systems.
- Advising various clients on several issues relating to class actions and competition litigation related matters including settlement.
- University of Lleida, Law (Cum Laude)
- Leeds, Master Degree in European Legal Studies (Distinction)
- Nottingham Law School, Postgraduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
- The ICC modifies its Note on the Conduct of Arbitration under the ICC Rules, Latin America Alert, 7 October 2016
- ICC Court to provide reasoned decisions, DLA Piper's International Arbitration Newsletter, December 2015
- Speaker at the launch of Pro Bono Connect (a Pro Bono collaboration between barristers and solicitors) during the National Pro Bono Week 2016
- 2011 to date, DLA Piper
- 2003 to 2011, London based international law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Higher Rights of Audience (Civil and Criminal)
- Abogada in Spain