With over 30 years of experience, Janine Guzmán has represented corporate clients in complex labor and employment matters including hiring, wage and hour, statutory licenses and employee benefits, performance, discipline and termination, business restructurings, reductions in force and relocations, drug testing programs, discrimination, sexual harassment, affirmative action, employee privacy, confidentiality and restrictive covenants, defamation, safety in the workplace and immigration. She has developed vast experience in the legal and regulatory aspects of both federal and local labor issues. Janine counsels small, medium and large national and international corporations regarding employment issues on an ongoing basis.
She advises a wide range of businesses covering a number of sectors, among them retail, wholesale, services, educational institutions, hospitality and leisure, communications and manufacturing. Her extensive experience includes wrongful discharges; employment discrimination proceedings at the federal, state and local levels; defending claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and Puerto Rico wage-and-hour laws; and representation before the Unemployment Bureau, Industrial Commission, Anti-Discrimination Unit, the EEOC, OSHA, Arbitration and Conciliation Bureau and the National Labor Relations Board.
Janine works closely with the firm's Corporate group in conducting due diligences and assisting in the disclosures of employee and labor matters in business mergers and acquisitions, on both the buy and sell sides, as well as in stock or asset purchase deals. In recent years, she has participated in important transactions involving financial institutions, communication companies and medical and hospital supply distributors.
Janine has served as a lecturer in employment law seminars for different organizations, including the Puerto Rico Association for Labor Relations Practitioners, the Society for Human Resources Management and Council of Education in Management.
She also counsels clients on the regulatory aspects of the Puerto Rico Department of Consumers Affairs, represents them in adjudicative proceedings before the agency and trains management teams on DACO regulations.
- J.D., Inter American University of Puerto Rico
- Janine was included in the 2020 Best Lawyers in Latin America (2020)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for Labor and Employment Law (2020-2023)
- Chambers Latin America
Band 3, Puerto Rico Labor & Employment (2020-2022)
Chambers comments, "Noteworthy practitioner Janine Guzmán is praised by clients, who state: 'She has good technical knowledge and knows our business well, both of which enable her to provide us with exceptional advice.'"
- The Legal 500 Latin America
Leading Lawyer, Puerto Rico Labour and Employment (2021-2022)
The Legal 500 comments, "Practice head Janine Guzman stands out for her experience in matters relating to audits, visa application proceedings for immigrant workers and awareness workshops and training programmes. She also defends employers with respect to charges of alleged age and gender discrimination, defamation and wrongful termination."
Recommended, Puerto Rico Dispute Resolution and Bankruptcy (2021-2022)
The Legal 500 comments, "The firm's Puerto Rico-based professionals include Janine Guzman, a labour and employment lawyer who also covers labour disputes, with special attention to dismissals..."
- Successfully led the most complex US visa application proceeding held in Puerto Rico, petitioning approximately 180 visas for immigrant workers from Spain and Mexico to work on the final phase of a major construction project of an important European Hotel chain in the island
- Frequently provides awareness workshops and manager training programs on compliance issues relating the legal and regulatory requirements that apply to business operation in Puerto Rico to management and human resources personnel
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing labor legal audits designed to identify compliance issues. Conducting disciplinary investigations for the detection of fraud and other irregular activities and ensuring the implementation of loss prevention practices. Handled a sensitive fraud investigation of a top manager of a 500 fortune company which culminated with an indictment
- Counseled several multimillion-dollar firms regarding the employment implications of their proposed mergers or acquisitions
- Effectively defended employers with respect to an EEOC charges alleging age discrimination
- Obtained summary judgment on former employee's discrimination based on gender identity, defamation and wrongful termination claims
- Successfully represented employers in cases involving employees' claims for unjust dismissal
- Successfully represented ab employer in a lawsuit alleging wrongful discharge, unpaid overtime pay, meal period penalties and commissions
Memberships And Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Association of Labor Relations Practitioners
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
My latest insights
Puerto Rico Department of Labor’s Circular Letter on the nullity of the 2022 Puerto Rican...
23 March 2023 .4 minute read