Ivan S. MalesCounsel
Ivan is a Finance, Projects & Restructuring practitioner with a focus on financing transactions and the infrastructure sector. In addition, with more than 11 years of legal experience, Ivan has gained particular knowledge on corporate and M&A cross-border transactions, notably in CEE and SEE markets.
Ivan advises clients in wide range of banking, finance and project finance transactions, acting on the sides of borrowers, sponsors and funders. Further, thanks to his dual qualification as well as international education and legal work, he is particularly experienced in working on transactions connecting various jurisdictions through number of legal sectors including general corporate and commercial law, with particular emphasis on M&A, debt restructuring and regulatory compliance.
In addition, he is regularly advising international clients on a range of regulatory and compliance issues with a special focus on banking and financial regulation.Ivan has gained significant experience in commercial litigation, negotiations and dispute resolution.
- Advising international institutions on several infrastructure projects, notably in the airport sector, including on-going advice regarding concession and PPP tender procedures. Such work included in-depth due diligence procedures, transaction structuring advice, drafting of the transactional documentation and overall legal support to the client up until the closing.
- Advising a French multinational automobile manufacturer on the sale of the whole retail network in the SEE region. Advice included an in-depth due diligence phase as well as drafting of the corporate and transactional documentation.
- Advising a Belgian buyer on an acquisition of leading SEE company providing services in an international port.
- Advice to major construction companies, global energetic and transportation conglomerate and other corporations on cross-border M&A transactions, corporate reorganizations and establishing a presence specifically in the countries of the CEE region.
- Advising various European funds on financing projects in the energy sector, including performing in-depth due diligence of several projects, drafting of the transactional documentation and creation/registration of the securities.
- Advising various major international banks, sovereign lenders and other financial institutions on LMA based loan facility agreements regarding cross-border financing together with drafting the accompanying collateral package and the legal opinions.
- Advising private corporations and governmental entities with regard to proceedings before various international commercial arbitration tribunals.
- Continuously advising numerous international corporations on a vast range of data privacy, cyber security, satellite networks and other regulatory matters in CEE.
- Université Paris Descartes, Masters of Law, 2012
- University of Zagreb, Faculty of Law, Mag.iur., 2012
Ivan's work was recognised by his clients, describing him as “hardworking and eager” and he was ranked as tier one for commercial, corporate and M&A in 2018 and 2019 in Croatia (The Legal 500).
Before cooperation with DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach, Ivan worked in several of the top-tier law firms in Croatia with a focus on cross-border transactions.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Croatian Bar Association
- Vienna Bar Association
- Europäischer Rechtsanwalt (European attorney-at-law) registered with Rechtsanwaltskammer Wien