John E. Rattigan Jr.Partner
John Rattigan serves as counsel to developers, institutions, public agencies and investors in the acquisition, development, sale and leasing of large-scale real estate projects. He has been lead counsel for many of Boston's most important and transformative real estate developments.
Among John's representative development projects in Boston are Fan Pier, Millennium Tower, Winthrop Center, The South Station Air Rights Project, Echelon Seaport, the Residences at the Ritz Carlton, the office tower at 10 St. James Avenue, the Park and Garage at Post Office Square and the expansion of South Bay Shopping Center. His experience also includes developments in Cambridge (Mass and Main), Somerville (Union Square) and other communities.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law 1982
Order of the Coif
- J.D., Merrimack College 1979
summa cum laude
The Legal 500 United States has recommended John for being "[a]mong the 'experienced' department" of DLA Piper's Land Use/Zoning team. He was elected to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers in 2002. In addition, John is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for real estate and has been named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Civic and Charitable
- John is a longtime advocate for Boston's traditional downtown. He is a current board member and the former chair of the Board of Directors of the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District
- He serves on the Board of Directors of Friends of Post Office Square, which owns the Norman B. Leventhal Park and the Garage at Post Office Square in the heart of Boston's financial district
- In 2001, John served on Mayor Thomas Menino's Linkage Commission, which proposed revisions to the City of Boston's linkage requirements for major real estate developments
- Former member of the Advisory Board, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Center for Real Estate
John has been a guest lecturer at the MIT Center for Real Estate and at Harvard Law School.