Brian focuses on private and public mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and general commercial law.
Prior to transitioning into the Corporate team, he spent two years as an associate in the Finance, Projects & Restructuring team, specialising in leveraged debt and structured finance transactions where he advised lenders (senior, junior and mezzanine), preference share funders and borrowers on all aspects of debt financing including funding structures, risks and security arrangements.
Brian qualified as a chartered accountant during 2013, completing his training contract with an international auditing firm.
- Advising FirstRand Bank Limited on the acquisition of the Slow Lounge business of Kulula.
- Advising a Real Foods Proprietary Limited on the disposal of a significant part of its foods.
- Advising on the acquisition by Community Investment Ventures Holdings Proprietary Limited (CIVH) of an initial 34.9% stake in fibre-to-the-home provider, Vumatel Proprietary Limited (Vumatel). Subject to regulatory approvals, CIVH may acquire the remaining shares in Vumatel at a later date. This transaction won Private Equity Deal of the Year, Dealmakers Awards, 2018.
- Advised in the capital restructure, and subsequent introduction of a new shareholder, of a major South African sporting franchise.
- Advised a foreign investor in respect of an investment in a local start-up entity looking to manufacture fuel cell components in South Africa.
- Advised a listed property REIT in respect of a vendor financed B-BBEE acquisition of its listed shares valued at R2.2billion, including providing advice in respect of the JSE Listing Requirement considerations and drafting of the various sale and funding agreements.
- Advising a construction and engineering company regarding the disposal of its wholly-owned South African subsidiary, to the local management team.
- Advised a listed property REIT in respect of a corporate restructure involving the merger of two of its subsidiary entities.
- Advising hedge counterparties on the conclusion of hedging transactions linked to project related funding packages in terms of the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) Master Agreement.
- Advising the lender in respect of financing of the acquisition of more than 50% of a renewable energy project.
- Advising a South African bank in relation to a USD12.7 million term loan facility made available to a large African mobile telecommunications company.
- Advising lenders (senior, junior and mezzanine), preference share funders and borrowers on all funding aspects including funding structures, risks and security arrangements.
- University of Stellenbosch - BAcc, LL.B.
- University of Johannesburg - BComm (Hons)
Memberships And Affiliations
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)