Mitchell Smith practices corporate and securities law, assisting public and private companies in all aspects of corporate and commercial activity, with an emphasis on corporate finance and mergers & acquisitions.
Mitchell advises issuers, underwriters and investors in relation to public and private equity and debt financings, initial public offerings, bought deal prospectus offerings, reverse take-overs, capital pool companies, private placements, takeover bids, plans of arrangement and corporate reorganizations. Mitchell also advises clients on matters relating to initial registration and ongoing compliance for entities involved in dealing, advising and investment fund management activities.
Mitchell earned his Juris Doctor from Thompson Rivers University and a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) from the University of Saskatchewan. He also completed a semester at Jönköping International Business School in Sweden.
Before becoming an associate in 2016, Mitchell summered and articled with the firm.
- Acted for the agents in connection with an initial public offering and TSX-V listing of EV Nickel Inc.
- Acted for The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) as M&A counsel in the sale of its Canadian bottling and distribution subsidiary (ranked among the top 10 “Deals of the Year” in Canada by Lexpert magazine in 2018).
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. in the $316.9 million bought deal public offering of subordinate voting shares of Curaleaf Holdings, Inc. (CSE: CURA) (OTCQX: CURLF).
- Acted as lead counsel for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB, OTCQX:CWBHF) in connection with a Secondary Offering of Common Shares pursuant to a short form shelf prospectus for aggregate gross proceeds of $161 million.
- Acted for the agents in connection with a public offering of common shares of Exro Technologies Inc. (TSXV: EXRO) for gross proceeds of $42 million.
- Acted for the underwriters in connection with a bought deal private placement of units and flow-through shares of Canada Nickel Company Inc. (TSX-V: CNC) for aggregate gross proceeds of $13,040,000.
- Acted for the underwriters in connection with a bought deal public offering of units of Else Nutrition Holdings Inc. (TSX-V: BABY) for gross proceeds of $20.7 million.
- Acted for the underwriters in connection with a bought deal public offering of common shares of Converge Technology Solutions Corp. (TSX-V: CTS) for gross proceeds of $34,537,375
- Acted as legal advisors to Canaccord Genuity Corp. and Desjardins Capital Markets, as lead underwriters on behalf of a syndicate of underwriters, in connection with a $21 million “bought deal” public offering for Converge Technology Solutions Corp. (TSXV: CTS) (FSE: 0ZB) (OTCQX: CTSDF).
- Acted for AltaCorp Capital Inc. in connection with a brokered private placement financing of subscription receipts
- Advise Partners Group in connection with Canadian registration and fund formation related matters
- Acted for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB, OTCQX:CWBHF) in connection with the closing of a C$115 million Initial Public Offering and Secondary Offering and listing on the Canadian Stock Exchange
- Acted for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB) in connection with an underwritten public offering of Units pursuant to a short form shelf prospectus for aggregate gross proceeds of $78 million
- Acted for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX: CWEB) in connection with an underwritten public offering of Units pursuant to a short form shelf prospectus for aggregate gross proceeds of $66 million
- J.D., Thompson Rivers University, 2015
- B.Comm., Edwards School of Business, University of Saskatchewan, 2011
- Best Lawyers Canada, Lawyers to Watch (Corporate Law) 2024; (Mergers & Acquisitions) 2024
- Contributor, "Regulation of Cryptocurrencies in Canada", Exchange-International: Financial Services Regulation Newsletter Series, DLA Piper, Feb 2018
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Law Alberta, Civil Claims Duty Counsel
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada advised CHAR Technologies in strategic investment by leading steel and...
10 July 2023 .2 minute read
Listed Issuer Financing Exemption: The CSA answers frequently asked questions from market...
13 June 2023 .6 minute read