Leading advice to help you establish and protect your brand
In a global marketplace, it’s difficult to know where your next IP issue may arise. Strategic and forward-thinking trademark portfolio management secures your most valuable assets and safeguards your competitive edge. We’ll help you protect your trademarks, designs, and copyrights – wherever you do business.
Whether you’re tackling infringements, piracy, trademark licensing, IP restructuring, or launching a new brand, we can help.
Our globally recognized lawyers work across every jurisdiction to manage trademarks in more than 150 countries, counseling clients on the selection, management, protection, monetization and enforcement of their trademark portfolios. This includes strategic management of portfolios for the world’s most valuable brands – with many clients outsourcing their entire trademark function to us.
Our work covers all aspects of the trademark lifecycle, including selection, clearance, application filing and strategy, prosecution, oppositions, cancellation, infringements, and complex commercial transactions such as licensing, acquisitions, tax structuring, securitizations, refinancing, and restructuring.
“Our globally recognized lawyers work across every jurisdiction to manage trademarks in more than 150 countries.”
Our team includes lawyers who have litigated to trial in court and in trademark offices around the world. They handle complex transactions involving thousands of trademarks and other IP assets.
Because we manage a large number of trademarks globally, and use the latest technology and scalable services, we keep tasks on-time and on budget.
We also help make the most of copyright assets through registration and licensing and enforcing, providing guidance on avoiding infringement and fair use. Our lawyers are based in major cities where IP is often infringed, often by imported goods. Our worldwide reach means we coordinate copyright enforcement and defensive activities globally.
Clients value our ability to efficiently handle global advertising campaigns, sweepstakes and contest promotions. We have a deep understanding of the nuances and the importance of protecting trade dress and non-traditional marks. And we can help with the evolving digital world, including monetizing and protecting digital content, NFTs, brands on the internet, social media, Web3 and the Metaverse.
As trademark and copyright law continues to evolve, we’ll help you build, maintain, and protect your most valuable assets.
Awards and recognition
- 40 of our lawyers are recognized in WTR 1000 – the World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2022, many ranked as Gold tier
- Ranked for Trademarks: Non-Contentious including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing, Legal 500 US 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets, Chambers USA 2022
- Top ranked for Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets in Illinois, Chambers USA 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property, Asia Pacific Region, Chambers Global 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property (International Firms), China, Chambers Global 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property, Italy, Chambers Global 2022
- Top ranked for Intellectual Property: Copyright, Italy, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property, Italy, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for National Leaders (Outside London) - Intellectual Property, UK, Chambers UK 2022
- Ranked for TMT, Intellectual Property: Trademarks, Copyright and Design, London, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property: Trade Marks and Designs, France, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property, United Arab Emirates, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for Intellectual Property, Poland, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Providing in-depth global guidance to protect company trademark portfolios on a global basis
- Structuring and leading global anti-counterfeiting and antipiracy programs
- Litigating disputes in federal courts and the TTAB
- Structuring, implementing and handling worldwide strategic enforcement programs for well-known multinational brands and major technology
- Drafting complex licensing agreements involving major brands, including in the retail products and real estate industries
- Advising companies on IP holding company structure working with tax, M&A, bankruptcy and finance teams
- Guiding companies through the development and release of high profile global marketing campaigns and sweepstakes
- Managing global clearance searches for major international rebranding efforts
- Advising companies on fighting online scams and frauds involving brands, copyrights and other IP assets
News and insights
The World's Leading Trademark Professionals recognizes 49 DLA Piper lawyers
8 February 2023 .2 minute read
Text to image AI generators: familiar legal questions about this novel, fast-growing...
24 January 2023 .5 minute read