Toby Barker has extensive experience in acting for lenders and borrowers on a broad range of real estate finance transactions including senior and mezzanine debt, development funding and tax-driven structures.
He has a particular expertise in cross-border work and has acted on transactions involving a number of different jurisdictions throughout Europe and Asia Pac.
Toby undertakes work for both lenders and borrowers and has experience in dealing with all types of investment and development property and sectors including warehouse and logistics, hospitality and leisure, private rented sector and offices.
Toby is the location head of the firm's Leveraged Finance Team in London, comprising Real Estate and Debt Finance.
- Acting for Aareal Bank on the EUR287 million, GBP40 million and SEK507 million refinancing of a European hotel portfolio for the Archer Group.
- Advising Cabot Properties on a GBP75 million refinancing and an up to GBP200 million revolving credit facility secured by portfolios of logistics properties throughout the UK.
- Acting for various JVs of ARES for the acquisition and development financing of warehouse and distributions properties across the UK.
- Acting for AXA Real Estate Mangers UK Ltd on an acquisition of a major PRS scheme in central London.
- Advising Bain Capital on the financing of the acquisition of a five asset office portfolio in Italy.
- Acting for Aareal Bank AG on the refinancing by InterGlobe of a portfolio of hotels in nine European cities.
- Advising the lender on the acquisition financing of two five star hotel resorts in the Maldives.
- Advising a syndicate of three lenders in connection with the acquisition and development financing of three hotels in Spain.
- Acting for Aareal Bank AG on a EUR1 billion pan-European real estate financing for Invesco, comprising a EUR580 million facility to refinance a portfolio of properties located across France, Spain, Germany, Poland, the UK and the Netherlands, a EUR30 million facility to refinance one of Invesco’s existing Italian portfolios and a further EUR390 million to enable Invesco to expand its portfolio throughout all seven jurisdictions.
- Acting for the lender on the GBP726 million financing of the acquisition of the Gherkin.
- Acting for the Maybourne Group on the GBP547 million refinancing of the Connaught, Berkeley and Claridge's Hotels.
- Advising Aareal Bank AG financing the GBP500 million corporate acquisition by Henderson Park of the London and Birmingham Metropole Hotels.
- Advising the Lender on its GBP469 million refinancing of a GBP1.2 billion Central London, office, retail and residential portfolio.
- Reading University
- London College of Law
- “Toby Barker is highlighted for his expertise advising lenders on domestic and cross-border real estate finance matters. He has broad transactional experience encompassing refinancing, acquisitions and development financing” Chambers and Partners 2020