Peter G. ArmstrongPartner
Peter is a Corporate Partner based in our Tokyo office.
Peter advises both Japanese and global entities on a wide range of complex cross-border transactions and projects. He has extensive experience on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and foreign investment and other corporate matters. His knowledge and experience spans across a broad range of sectors, with a particular focus on renewable energy including onshore and offshore wind power, solar PV, biomass and geothermal power projects.
Peter advises clients on all aspects of the delivery of renewable energy projects from project development, portfolio creation and investment to sales as well as negotiating and drafting all types of project documents, including EPC contracts and O&M agreements. His expertise also includes advising on overseas infrastructure projects.
Peter has received recognition of his work. Clients and peers alike praise his responsiveness and ability to balance the needs of his clients with astute commercial considerations.
He is regularly requested to present seminars on Japanese-Canadian business matters.
Peter is a registered foreign lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi) and is fluent in Japanese.
Peter is admitted to practice in Ontario, Canada.
- Advising Pattern Energy Group LP on financing of Japan’s largest wind and solar energy investment fund.*
- Advising Octopus Energy Group Limited on its joint venture with Tokyo Gas., Ltd.*
- Advising Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development on its acquisition of Cad Railway Industries, Ltd.*
- Advising Hokkaido Electric Power Co., Inc. on its acquisition of stake in Alten RE Developments America B.V.*
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on the project financing for the 112 MW Ishikari Offshore Wind Project, a large-scale combined offshore wind and power storage project off Ishikari Bay in Hokkaido, Japan. It’s Japan’s largest combined offshore wind and power storage facility, setting a key milestone in the country’s energy transition.*
- Advising MUFG Bank, Ltd. on its acquisition of HC Consumer Finance Philippines, Inc. and PT Home Credit Indonesia.*
- Advising a major Asian real estate investment company on its acquisition of the ski resort and hotel business of Kiroro Resort Holdings Co., Ltd.*
- Advising CoorsTek, Inc., a US-based maker of engineered ceramics, on its carve out and sale of a specific business line of its subsidiary CoorsTek KK to MOMQ Holding Co., a US-based investment holding company owned by Wonik QnC Corporation.*
* Denotes experience from a previous firm
Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 2007
Columbia University, B.A., 2002
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Canada, August 2022
- Hydrogen Update and Outlook Japan 2022, February 2022
- “Enhanced governmental oversight of foreign investments in rare earths”, October 2021
- “Japan selects first round of recipients for green innovation fund”, September 2021
- “Changes to decommissioning reserve requirements for solar power projects”, August 2021
- “Biomass power generation: supply and sustainability”, April 2021
- Moderator of Panel “New Opportunities for Hydrogen Import and Export” in Connecting Green Hydrogen Japan 2022, 12 October 2022
- Conference: Mitsubishi Corporation – Activity in Canada hosted by the Canadian Chamber in Japan, Moderator of the event, 26 May 2022
- Seminar: Panellist in a session entitled "Canada – Japan Energy Security Forum 2021" sponsored by the Embassy of Canada, Tokyo, 16 December 2021
- Law Society of Ontario, Canada
- The Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Japan