Neil advises on all aspects of dispute resolution and risk management, managing multi-disciplinary teams in complex situations across various industry sectors. His caseload has a strong international element and involves matters with significant commercial sensitivity and reputational implications.
- Advising a multinational hotel operator regarding numerous contractual situations across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, including Court and Arbitration proceedings.
- Defending a significant land and property regeneration company against multi-million pound claims that a joint venture entity with the claimant had been granted an extension to a pre-existing option to purchase and develop a substantial brownfield redevelopment and that our client had breached this alleged option. Our client settled on terms that saw it receive a substantial payment and take full possession and unencumbered title to the development land.
- Pursuing and defending numerous claims being advanced in confidential Arbitration proceedings relating to long term contractual relationships and sale and leaseback arrangements.
- Acting for a multinational hotel operator in relation to a sensitive situation involving a hunger striker who was pursuing an unlawful campaign against the operator, including unlawfully occupying a room in prominent London hotel and threatening to take his own life. We assembled a multi-disciplinary team, and worked closely with the emergency services, to obtain an urgent injunction and to evict him without incident and advised our client on managing its reputational and legal exposure.
- Successfully defending a worldwide Casino operator against claims of breach of contract and statutory duties and allegations of fraud in relation to online roulette services. Our client was accused of unlawful conduct and unfair contractual terms rendering them liable for various losses. We obtained Summary Judgment, dismissing the claim in its entirety and securing a full costs award.
- University of Nottingham, LLB Hons – Law
- Neil is recognised as a tier one Litigation and Dispute Resolution expert in the leading legal directories.
- Chambers & Partners describe Neil as a "highly pragmatic, sensible and energetic litigator", with [interviewees appreciating his] "practical and tailored advice" noting he brings together "tremendous commercial acumen with a top-notch tactical brain".
- Legal 500 highlights Neil's ability to "offer sound and robust advice throughout each stage of litigation" as well as his “ability to handle delicate situations with utter professionalism, and continue to give first-rate advice throughout”, remarking it “is truly excellent”.
- Acritas Star – independently rated lawyer.
Neil is heavily involved in the firm's WIN programme for in-house lawyers and regularly speaks at legal conferences on topics ranging from legal professional privilege to fraud awareness and crisis management.
My latest insights
DLA Piper appoints new partner to its London Litigation and Regulation Practice
13 November 2023 .1 minute read
DLA Piper appoints new Litigation and Regulatory partner to its Edinburgh Office
4 January 2023 .2 minute read