Jorge is a corporate partner in the Mexico City office with experience in mergers and acquisitions, antitrust and other regulated markets that required specific technical skills such as life-science, telecommunications and technology partner of the firm. Jorge also has experience in other practice areas such as e-commerce, financing and franchise.
Jorge designs and implements sophisticated legal structures that require specific legal skills, creativity and a considerable business sense that enable his clients to meet their goals with the certainty that their transactions are structured within the applicable legal framework.
- Legal counsel to BBVA Bancomer, S:A. (as structuring bank for Petroleos Mexicanos /PEMEX) and Tag Pipelines, S. de R.L. de C.V. in connection with the obtainment of the approval from the Mexican Antitrust Commission regarding the divestment of PEMEX (directly or indirectly) in the gas pipeline known as "Ramones II"
- Legal counsel to NII Holding Inc., in connection with the antitrust approval required from the Federal Telecommunications Institute, in connection with the sale of Comunicaciones Nextel de México, S.A. de C.V., to AT&T
- Legal counsel to Michelin North America Inc. and Tire Center LLC, in connection with the obtainment of the antitrust approval required from the Mexican Antitrust Commission for the formation of a joint venture with TBC Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation of the Americas, for the tire replacement distribution business in Mexico, the United States of America and Canada
- Legal counsel to Remy International Holdings LLC, in connection with the obtainment of the approval required from the Antitrust Commission required to sell the Mexican subsidiaries engaged in the remanufactured market of alternators and starters in favor of BBB Industries, LLC.
- Legal counsel to Sanofi Pasteur, S.A. de C.V. in the development, manufacturing and commercialization of the first Mexican flu vaccine, including the implementation of an in-bond (maquila) scenario to allow the performance of secondary processes in France
- Legal counsel to Swissport International AG, the world's leading provider of ground and cargo handling services, regarding the acquisition of 100 percent of the outstanding shares of the company AGN Aviation Services, S.A. de C.V., a major ground handling provider in Mexico
- Legal counsel to The Coca-Cola Company (TCCC) in connection with certain joint venture entered with Arca Continental, S.A.B. de C.V. (AC) through the contribution of the Southwestern United States Territory (including the state of Texas, parts of Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arkansas) bottling and distribution business of Coca-Cola Products in exchange for 20 percent of the partnership interests of a newly created entity named AC Bebidas, S. de R.L. de C.V., which consolidated AC Beverage Business in Mexico, Ecuador, Peru and Argentina (the "AC Beverage Business") with the Southwestern Territory Business
- Legal counsel to NTT International LLC in connection with the acquisition of the IP business of Dell, including the obtainment of the relevant antitrust approval
- Legal counsel to Intertek Plc in connection with the acquisition of the company named Laboratorios ABC Química, Investigación y Análisis, S.A. de C.V. and its subsidiaries
- Legal counsel to Sun Capital Partners LP, in connection with the sale of the 100 percent of the outstanding shares of the companies DuraFiber DFT Operations Mexico. S.A. de C.V. and DuraFiber DFT Services de México, S.A. de C.V., in favor of Indorama Pcl, including the obtainment of the relevant authorization required from the Mexican Antitrust Commission
- Legislative advice regarding a bill to amend the General Health Law in order to establish legislation concerning biosimilar drugs in Mexico. The amendments to the General Health Law were enacted in 2009. Thereafter, subsequent legislative actions were conducted to produce or amend, as applicable, the administrative regulations and guidelines
- Law Degree (Licenciatura en Derecho), Universidad Iberoamericana, 2003
- Centro de Estudios de Postgrado en Derecho, Master in Law, 2013
- The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 - Recommended, Mexico Corporate and M&A
2022 - Recommended, Mexico Life Sciences
2022 - Recommended, Mexico TMT
2019, 2021, Recommended, Mexico Corporate and M&A
2017-19, 2021 - Recommended, Mexico Banking and Finance
2021 - Recommended, Mexico Life Sciences
2021 - Recommended, Mexico TMT
2018 - Recommended, International Firms Corporate and M&A
2017 - Recommended, Mexico Real Estate
2015-17 - Recommended, Mexico Corporate and M&A
- Featured Advisor of the Year in Mexico, Who's Who of Professionals: 2013 and 2014
- Best TMT Law Service, Corporate LiveWire Awards: 2017
- Best TMT Lawyer, ACQ5 Global Awards: 2017 and 2019
- Antitrust Lawyer of the Year – Mexico 2018 and 2019, Corporate LiveWire Awards: 2018
- Jorge Benejam was included in the 2020 Best Lawyers in Latin America for Corporate and M&A Law in Mexico
- Author, "Antitrust Enforcement Priorities in Mexico," DLA Piper Antitrust Matters publication, 2019
- Co-author, "DLA Piper Global Merger Handbook," DLA Piper, 2018
- Alternate professor of Constitutional Law, Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C., 2003-2017
- Professor of Negotiable Instruments and Credit Transactions, Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C., 2007-2015
- Professor of Constitutional Law, Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C., 2011-2016
My latest insights
DLA Piper Mexico represents GAP in sale of Old Navy to Mexican retailer
2 August 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Vorwerk & Co. in US$255 million sale of JAFRA’s US and Mexico operations...
12 April 2022 .3 minute read