Dr Thilo von Bodungen LLMPartner
Thilo von Bodungen understands your business quickly and guides you through the legal challenges. He is a commercial law specialist and focuses on national and international trade and distribution law and the drafting and negotiating of agreements for the operating business. His main industry focus is on industrials as well as on consumer goods and retail.
Thilo advises companies on all stages of the value chain, from procurement and manufacturing to sales and distribution. His experience covers agreements for the purchase and sale, international contract and trade law, distribution law (distributor, commercial agent and franchising), standard agreements, consumer protection laws, leasing, transport and logistics, co-operation, joint venture and toll manufacturing agreements, service agreements as well as product liability.
Thilo is Global Co-Chair of DLA Piper’s Commercial Contracts Group.
- Advising various international industrial companies on supply agreements, distribution systems as well as warranty and liability claims.
- Advising various international consumer goods and fashion companies on distribution, agency and franchising agreements, logistics agreements as well as on web-shops.
- Advising various OEMs and mobility providers on their leasing, subscription and rental models.
- Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich, First State Examination, 2001, and Ph.D., 2005
- New York University, LL.M., 2004
- Higher Regional Court of Munich, Second State Exam, 2003
Humboldt-University Berlin, 1999
University of Regensburg, 1998
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for distribution/trade/logistics: distribution systems; “very competent, fast and comprehensive support”, “explains excellently”, “deep economic understanding”, “top sparring partner, thinks outside the box”, “absolute strategist with new perspectives”, clients (2021/2022)
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for commercial and distribution law; “Thilo von Bodungen is an experienced partner who is very attentive and solution-oriented.”
- Chambers Europe Germany 2023: Recommended for commercial contracts; “He is very knowledgeable and accommodating as he is looking for compromises in finding solutions that work for all parties. Yet he is firm on certain points.”, client (2022)
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for technology law
- Kanzleimonitor 2020/2021: Recommended for contract and public law
- Co-author "Produkthaftungs- und Produktsicherheitsrecht", edited by RA Dr. Philipp Ehring, Prof. Dr. Prof. h.c. Jürgen Taeger, RA/Of Counsel, Nomos, 2022
- „Das neue Schuldrecht 2022“, article in the special supplement Wirtschaftskanzleien, Börsenzeitung, 2021
- Compare contract law around the world with our Global Contract Laws Guide, 1 June 2021
Before joining DLA Piper in 2011 Thilo worked for another international law firm.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German-American Lawyers Association (DAJV)
- German Association for Distribution Law (DGRV)
My latest insights
Consumer protection issues along the product lifecycle and customer journey
2 May 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Capvis on the acquisition of a majority stake in Schurter Group
20 January 2023 .2 minute read