Jesús Zapata has over 25 years’ experience of helping clients with complex financial and banking issues, advising on significant transactions in the national and international market. He also has broad experience in corporate, acquisition and project financing.
He is widely recognised for his strong professional background in the Spanish financial sector and led the Finance, Projects and Restructuring practice of DLA Piper’s Madrid office until 2020, when he was elected Managing Partner.
Jesús recently advised financial entities on the debt refinancing of the leading Spanish retailer El Corte Inglés, and on the USD500 million granted to Servicios Compresión de Gas for the financing of an oil platform in Mexico.
He previously worked as Legal Adviser for one of Spain’s largest banks and as a lawyer for several global law firms.
Jesús’ experience includes advising:
- The financial entities on the debt refinancing of leading Spanish retailer El Corte Inglés, exceeding EUR2 billion
- The financial entities on the USD500 million granted to Servicios Compresión de Gas for the financing of an oil platform in Mexico
- The financial entities on the debt refinancing of NH Hotel Group, exceeding EUR250 million
- The financial entities on the c. EUR650 million refinancing of Spanish toll roads (radiales) R3 and R5
- The financial entities, and subsequently the distressed debt funds, on the insolvency process of Spanish toll roads (radiales) R3 and R5
- Universidad Complutense Madrid, Law degree
- ICADE, Master in Tax Advice
Awards and recognition
- Hall of Fame, Banking and Finance, Spain, The Legal 500 EMEA 2018-22
- Band 2 lawyer, Banking and Finance, Spain, Chambers Global and Europe since 2014
Publications and media
- Jesus Zapata, socio director de DLA Piper en España, ve necesarias las ayudas directas para evitar quiebras empresariales, Confilegal, 12 February 2021
- Jesús Zapata: "La banca siempre va a estar ahí para ayudar a las empresas, pero no da para todo", Expansión, 23 November 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- Madrid Bar Association