Paula Corban-Pelin is a corporate M&A lawyer with more than 20 years of experience advising local and international corporations on M&A transaction in sectors such as energy, financial services (including insurance) or agribusiness. She is an energy expert advising on all aspects of energy projects from acquisition to financing, regulatory and licensing aspects.
She is appreciated by the most sophisticated clients for her thorough understanding of the energy sector and of the challenges that the clients face and for delivering practical, focused, pro-active and innovative sector advise.
An efficient and focused negotiator, Paula coordinates complex domestic and cross border transactions and has brought to a successful conclusion a considerable number of deals.
She regularly advises on renewable energy projects in all stages of the respective projects from acquisition through development until commissioning and operation. Clients includes major corporations but also local companies. Recently, she successfully advised one of the main power and natural gas suppliers on a dispute with the regulator in the energy field on alleged market manipulation under REMIT, a complex matter on natural gas trading on centralized markets.
She is one of the few lawyers having capabilities on nuclear power regulatory aspects having advised on the Cernavoda nuclear power plant units 3 and 4 project.
- Completed a considerable number of transactions in the renewable energy sector covering more than 1,000 MW of wind farm projects in various stages of development.
- Constantly advising on development and licensing matters for various wind and solar projects in various locations in Romania.
- Successfully defended one of the main power and natural gas suppliers in connection with an investigation from the energy regulator related to an alleged market manipulation under the Regulation (EU) No 1227/2011 on wholesale energy market integrity and transparency (REMIT).
- Advising several clients on the licensing regime and requirements for production of electricity and for electricity supply and trading in Romania to obtain the relevant licenses.
- Advising one of the largest corporations in Romania and the largest oil and gas producer in Southeast Europe on various regulatory aspects, including privatization, procurement, and environmental-related matters.
- Advised the main bank from Israel to divest its Romanian banking business, in a process of restructuring its international presence.
- Working with several insurance companies on insurance regulatory matters in connection with the distribution of their products in Romania.
- Advised one of the main players in the distribution of fertilizers and crop protection products to acquire two Romanian agricultural inputs businesses and to consolidate their presence in Romanian by way of various corporate reorganization processes as well as of potential new acquisitions.
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 1999
- Next Generation Partner – Legal 500, 2020
- Contributing author to the Law & Practice section of “Chambers Global Practice Guide - Corporate M&A“, 2019
- Regional contributor to World Bank Doing Business 2010-14, 2016-19 reports
- April 2014 - Present: DLA Piper Romania, Counsel
- April 2010 - April 2014: International Law Firm, Counsel
- February 2008 - April 2010: International Law Firm, Senior Associate
- May 2006 - February 2008: Romanian Law Firm, Partner
- November 2004 - June 2005: Romanian Law Firm, Senior Associate
- December 2001 - November 2004: Romanian Law Firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Bucharest Bar and the National Union of Romanian Bars since 2000
- Member of the International Bar Association since 2008
My latest insights
DLA Piper assisted Intrum Group in the sale to DDM Group AG of its NPL portfolio in...
11 July 2023 .2 minute read
New amendments to the consumer price caps and contributions due by market operators in the...
13 December 2022 .13 minute read