US Management Committee
Co-Chair, Global Tax practice
Sang Kim is a member of the US Management Committee and is the Co-Chair of the Global Tax practice. He is also leading the US-Asia Initiative and serves on the firm’s Asia Committee.
Sang concentrates his practice in international tax and operational structuring; global transfer pricing strategy; cross-border mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures; post-acquisition integration; and international tax controversy. He frequently serves as the managing international counsel for multijurisdictional and multi-disciplinary matters and transactions.
He has led several hundred global expansion and structuring engagements for companies across a wide spectrum of industries, including technology, consumer products, life sciences, energy, media, services, funds, manufacturing and distribution.
Within these industries, he has worked extensively with clients in the software, semiconductor, EV, batteries, biotech/pharma, data storage, data security, social/ecommerce, gaming, consumer electronics, retail, medical devices and networking segments. He has also worked closely with numerous clients doing business in China, India, Brazil, Russia and other key emerging economies.
- LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law 1996
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law 1995
- B.A., Philosophy and Economics, Columbia University 1992
- Band 2, Northern California Tax (2020-2022)
- Band 3, Northern California Tax (2019)
- Band 3, California Tax (2013-2018)
- Up and Coming, California Tax (2012)
The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, International Tax (2013-2022)
- Recommended, US Taxes: Contentious (2019)
- Recommended, Technology: Transactions (2017)
- Recommended, US Taxes: Non-contentious (2017)
International Tax Review World Tax
- Recognized as Highly Regarded, General Corporate Tax (2022)
- "DLA Piper Forms New Management Team After Strong 2020," Law360, March 9, 2021
Civic and Charitable
Sang is Chair of the Bronx Science Foundation focusing on endowment development and strategic planning and support for a leading specialized public high school in New York City. He is a founding member of Fund Development Council West for Columbia College. He also served for many years as a Little League baseball and youth basketball coach.
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Navitas Semiconductor in SPAC closing with Live Oak Acquisition Corp. II
19 October 2021 .5 minute read