James M. FischerPartner
Jim Fischer focuses his practice on advising public and private companies in strategic and financial transactions. He delivers extensive experience in M&A and corporate venture investments and roll-up transactions – particularly in the fintech, pharmaceutical, healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Jim has served as lead counsel on dozens of mergers and acquisitions ranging in size from US$50 million to more than US$1.2 billion. In addition, he advises on major corporate restructurings, private securities offerings and divestitures.
Notably, James represents fast growth and mid-sized companies in emerging and established industries on complex transactions such as intricate transfers of ownership, equity investments and acquisitions, corporate divestitures and joint ventures. He is also skilled in working with individual and institutional clients on investing in and transacting with corporate incubators supporting foreign and domestic propriety and high-frequency trading firms and related service providers. Chambers USA praises Jim as "a great communicator of legal knowledge and market awareness as it relates to M&A transactions." Clients state, "Jim is always responsive and efficient," with "an incredible commitment to client service."
- Represented Legrand North and Central America, an electrical and digital building infrastructure company, in various acquisitions across multiple verticals, such as audiovisual, lighting, data center and power distribution, intelligent power and IP networking, including its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Milestone AV Technologies, as well as its acquisitions of Champion ONE, Focal Point, Starline (formerly known as Universal Electric), Kenall, Server Technology, Finelite, Pinnacle Architectural Lighting, Luxul and Raritan.
- Represented Ascensus, the nation's largest independent retirement and college savings services provider, in over 35 acquisitions, including its acquisitions of UnifyHR, BB&T's bundled recordkeeping business, Goldleaf Partners, Nyhart, United Retirement Plan Consultants, Provident Trust Group and Sallie Mae's 529 college savings plan administrator, Upromise Investments.
- Represented LiquidityEdge, a financial technology services provider, in its corporate organizational work and US $150 million sale to MarketAxess Holdings Inc.
- Represented FGI-Industries Ltd. in its initial public offering.
- Represented Vertex, Inc., a global provider of tax solutions, in its acquisition of LCR-Dixon Corporation.
- Represented Merck Global Health Innovation Fund in various emerging company equity investments and acquisitions.
- Represented a privately held truck leasing, transportation and logistics company in various strategic acquisitions.
- Represented Hartfield, Titus & Donnelly, a financial services company, in connection with the sale of its subsidiary, MuniBrokers, to MarketAxess Holdings Inc., as well as various other corporate and strategic matters.
- Represented a private equity-sponsored technology-enabled marketing firm serving the senior living sector in its acquisition of a senior living-focused sales consulting company.
- Represented a family-owned firm in its sale of a controlling interest in its solar energy business to a private equity firm.
- Represented an engineering testing firm in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented Onyx Enterprises International Corporation, a leading e-commerce platform for niche markets focused on the auto parts space, in a business combination with Legacy Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), the combination of which resulted in a NYSE publicly traded company named PARTS iD, Inc.
- Represented a New York City-based real estate developer in connection with several luxury residential real estate projects throughout Manhattan and Queens, including the negotiation of developer-level and preferred equity-level joint ventures, senior and mezzanine financing, and consummation of equity raises.
- Represented several real estate developers throughout New York and New Jersey in connection with various hotel and resort and other real estate projects, including the negotiation of developer-level and preferred equity-level joint ventures and consummation of equity raises and financing.
- Represented a producer of advanced material technology and sustainable insultation products in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented ENSO LP and affiliates, providers of data analytics to financial institutions, in an equity sale to ICAP plc.
- Represented a private equity firm in the sale of a multinational manufacturer in the transportation sector.
- Represented a publicly traded company in connection with multiple divestitures of business segments that provide military and civilian aircraft components and other parts, as well as metal-forming machines.
- Represented a private label tea and coffee company based in the United Kingdom in the acquisition of a U.S.-based natural ingredients supplier.
- Represented a medical device design and manufacturing business in connection with its sale to a robotic-assisted surgery company.
- J.D., Seton Hall University
magna cum laude
Seton Hall Legislative Journal
- B.A., Catholic University of America
summa cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, New Jersey, Corporate/M&A (2016-2022)
- New Jersey Law Journal – Dealmaker (2021)
- "Future of Tech – Webinar," Faegre Drinker, June 3, 2020
- Mentioned, "LA Piper Snags 2 Corporate Partners From Faegre Drinker," Law360, March 24, 2022
- Mentioned, "James Fischer Interviewed on How Insurtechs Are Changing the Customer Experience," April 2020
Jim worked as a research assistant in the United Kingdom's House of Commons and as an intern on Capitol Hill. At his previous firm, Jim served as co-leader of the corporate group and chair of the corporate and securities group.
Civic and Charitable
- Pro Bono Partnership (New Jersey Chapter)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Corporate and Business Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Business Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Trading Cross Connects US LLC and Trading Cross Connects Holdings Limited (2010 – 2012)
- Board of Trustees, Chair, American Herbal Products Association (2005 – 2006 and Chair, 2006, respectively)
- Member, American Herbal Products Association ERB Foundation (2006 – present)