Owen has deep experience advising lenders and sponsors on a wide variety of financing transactions, including project finance for infrastructure, energy and natural resource projects, property finance, acquisition finance and general corporate finance.
Owen has worked with or opposite various commercial banks, alternative lenders, Export Credit Agencies and Development Finance Institutions on transactions throughout Australia, Asia-Pacific and Europe.
Owen advised a syndicate of commercial banks on the Debt market Deal of the Year 2020 at the Australasian Law Awards, being the financing of Saracen’s acquisition of 50% of the Super Pit gold mine from Barrick Gold Corporation.
- A syndicate of commercial banks on the financing for the acquisition by Saracen Mineral Holdings of 50% of the Super Pit gold mine from Barrick Gold Corporation (awarded Debt market Deal of the Year 2020 at the Australasian Law Awards).*
- Adriatic Metals plc on its project financing of the Vareš base metals project in Bosnia and Herzegovina with an alternative lender.*
- New Century Resources Limited on its project finance debt facility with Varde for the restart of the Century Zinc Mine.*
- Synergy on the establishment of Bright Energy Investments, a fund (with co-investment from DIF and CBUS) for the development of renewable energy assets in Western Australia, including the project financing of the expansion of the Greenough River Solar Farm and the subsequent part sale of the Greenough River Solar Farm and the Albany Grasmere Wind Farm.*
- Onslow Marine Support Base Pty Ltd on its project financing facilities with an Australian commercial bank and the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility (NAIF) for the development of the Onslow Marine Support Base (being the first loan disbursed from the NAIF).*
- An Australian commercial bank as sole MLAUB on ‘Samurai’ refinancing of the Hallett 1 Wind Farm located in South Australia.*
- A Japanese commercial bank as sole MLAUB on the ‘Samurai’ refinancing of the Waterloo Wind Farm located in South Australia.*
- A French commercial bank on its debt facilities to Starwood Properties for the purchase of the Zenith Towers commercial property complex in Sydney, and related intercreditor arrangements with a mezzanine lender.*
- A syndicate of 21 lenders, including an ECA and DFI, on the development and financing of the NeuConnect 1.4GW HVDC submarine interc onnector cable between the UK and Germany and associated infrastructure.*
- A sovereign wealth fund as lender on the project financing for the development of a greenfields EfW plant to be developed in North Clyde, Scotland.* *Denotes prior experience
- Monash University (VIC), Bachelor of Laws (Hons), 2010
- The College of Law (VIC), Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, 2011
- Advised a syndicate of commercial banks on the Debt market Deal of the Year 2020 at the Australasian Law Awards, being the financing of Saracen’s acquisition of 50% of the Super Pit gold mine from Barrick Gold Corporation.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of WA
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Strike Energy on its AUD142 million acquisition of Talon Energy
14 August 2023 .2 minute read