Alasdair McBeth is one of New Zealand's leading lawyers in the funds management and superannuation industry.
Alasdair has been involved with KiwiSaver since its inception and has been responsible for the establishment of many schemes.
He focuses in the prudential governance of financial assets, particularly Crown financial assets. He advises the Government Superannuation Fund Authority, the Earthquake Commission and the Board of Trustees of the National Provident Fund.
Alasdair regularly advises on the drafting of documentation for New Zealand domestic and international fund managers and custodians, including putting in place appropriate investment mandates and establishing compliance and reporting procedures.
He has extensive experience in designing and establishing retail and wholesale investment structures using all forms of collective investment vehicles for domestic and international clients.
Alasdair advises overseas issuers on New Zealand regulatory requirements for offering securities in New Zealand and also trustee companies including appointment as trustees of unit trusts, superannuation schemes, group investment funds, statutory supervisors, security trustees, debt trustees and custodians.
He provides commercial and corporate governance advice to trustee companies, trustees, other funds management industry providers, Crown entities, and government departments. This includes advising on, and preparing submissions on, legislative changes and advising on powers, authorities and delegations.
Alasdair advises on employer based defined contribution and defined benefit schemes including for the New Zealand Defence Force Superannuation Schemes, the New Zealand Police Superannuation Scheme, the New Zealand Fire Service Superannuation Scheme and the Presbyterian Church Superannuation Scheme. This includes the effects of KiwiSaver and the establishment of Complying Funds. He advises administrators and investment managers for superannuation schemes, in particular, regarding master superannuation schemes and multi-employer structures.
He advises financial planning and financial adviser groups on products, compliance and disclosure requirements.Alasdair has a significant foreign trust practice. He acts for the Citco Group in New Zealand.
- Acted for the Establishment Board on the restructuring of the Government Superannuation Fund and now acts for the Authority. A body corporate was established as a Crown Entity and a $3.4 billion fund was transferred to the Authority for investment in a fully diversified manner.
- Led the team appointed as legal adviser to the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation on its establishment. The New Zealand Superannuation Fund is expected to grow to about NZ$30 billion over the next 10 years and will ultimately be more than NZ$50 billion.
- The introduction of the PIE rules led to the due diligence and amendment of many existing funds and the establishment of new funds. Alasdair has established many PIE funds.
- Intensively involved in the evolution and rollout of KiwiSaver. Advised employers and trustees of existing superannuation schemes on the implications of KiwiSaver. Heavily involved in the establishment of many KiwiSaver schemes.
- Acted on the establishment of and still acts for Citco Trustees (NZ) Limited, a New Zealand domicile trustee company and part of the Citco Group. Citco NZ acts as trustee for many foreign trusts.
- LL.B., Victoria University of Wellington; New Zealand 1978
Alasdair is ranked in the 2019 Legal 500 Asia-Pacific rankings as a leading individual in Investment Funds. Legal 500 describes Alasdair as “one of New Zealand's leading lawyers in the funds management and superannuation industry”.
Alasdair is also ranked as a leading Investment Funds lawyer in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 rankings. Chambers noting that Alasdair is “lauded as one of the leading lawyers for funds management and superannuation advice".
Alasdair is ranked as a Leading Individual for Investment Funds in Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018. Legal 500 praised Alasdair for "listening carefully to instructions and working collaboratively to achieve the right outcome". One highlighted work was Alasdair's client Implemented Investment Solutions, with particular mention given to the investment funds and financial services practice.
Alasdair was ranked as a leading Investment Funds lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017, with Chambers noting that he 'has extensive experience advising fund supervisors and managers on regulatory compliance. He is highly regarded for his skills in relation to new investment products and clients highlight his employment scheme capability, commending him as "excellent, an expert in superannuation."'
Chambers has also noted that Alasdair is '"one of the godfathers of superannuation" in New Zealand, Alasdair McBeth is also considered a "leading management investment scheme specialist" who is rated for the quality of his client care and strength liaising with regulatory bodies on fund management matters. Interviewees report: "He is a pragmatic and commercially oriented senior legal adviser."'
Memberships And Affiliations
New Zealand Law Society
Workplace Savings NZ
Investment Savings and Insurance Association
Former Chair of New Zealand Law Society General Practice Committee
UK Pension Lawyers Association
Former Deputy Chairman of Cricket Wellington
My latest insights
FMC Market Index Exemption Notice renewed for five more years
27 September 2023 .2 minute read
FMA consultation proposed guidance on winding-up requirements for registered schemes
26 September 2023 .9 minute read