Advising clients worldwide as nuclear energy returns
Nuclear power is back. As development opportunities and investments proliferate, our sector knowledge and global reach mean we’re continuing to advise businesses, financial institutions and utilities in the complex transactional, investment, regulatory, environmental and litigation matters they face.
Geopolitical challenges, price volatility in power and gas, environmental concerns, achieving net zero, and energy security concerns have brought nuclear energy back to the table. Our deep sector knowledge in this industry means we can provide you with relevant and timely advice based on up-to-date information.
There are huge opportunities for business and investment: to develop new reactors, safely decommission older facilities, upgrade and improve efficiency standards, and restart reactors previously shut down.
We have led some of the most significant transactions in the last decade involving nuclear assets, particularly in the US and UK. This includes structuring the first of its kind equity sale of a nuclear power plant to a decommissioning firm. We have deep experience advising on investments, risks and liabilities, structuring and negotiating majority and minority investments and joint ventures, in statutory and regulatory regimes, and analyzing environmental issues.
“We have led some of the most significant transactions in the last decade involving nuclear assets.”
Work undertaken includes acquiring and reorganizing nuclear assets, nuclear waste management and decommissioning, uranium enrichment and fuel supply and transport, traditional and experimental generation facilities, and control restrictions on imports and exports.
We also develop strategies for clients defending mass tort, toxic tort, and radiation injury litigation. This brings together our industry insights, integrated legal disciplines, matter management tools, and an understanding of the complex scientific and technical issues unique to this area.
Opportunities to invest in new tech require the focused support we provide. These include ‘perfect power’ fusion reactors, small modular reactors (SMRs), retrofitting nuclear plants inside coal-fired power plants, and innovative ways to handle nuclear waste. We also advise EPC contractors in developing nuclear power plants, and suppliers and purchasers under fuel supply agreements.
- Advising JGC Holdings Corporation on its investment in NuScale Power LLC in the US (a subsidiary of Fluor Corporation), a developer of a modular, scalable, advanced nuclear technology known as a small modular reactors (SMR).
- Advising General Electric and obtaining summary judgment on claims brought against it and other entities responsible for constructing and operating GE’s experimental boiling water reactor (BWR) at its Vallecitos Nuclear Center in California.
- Advising Brookfield Business Partners and its institutional partners on the acquisition of Westinghouse Electric Company from Toshiba Corporation for USD4.6 billion. Westinghouse Electric Company is the largest service provider to the world's nuclear facilities.
- Advising Rolls Royce plc on the disposal of its civil nuclear business in the US., France, UK and China. The principal business is the supply of instrumentation and controls which support the operation of nuclear facilities and are safety critical. We advised upon the nuclear regulatory aspects of this transaction, contemplating the nuclear regulators' approach to the change in ownership and control.
- Advising Entergy Corporation in connection with its announced sale of its subsidiaries that own the Indian Point Energy Center nuclear power complex to Holtec International. Comprehensive Decommissioning International, a joint venture between Holtec and SNC Lavalin, will decommission the facility when it is shut down.
- Advising Areva on the implications of the nuclear site licence granted to NNB Generation Company in respect of the proposed new nuclear power stations at Hinkley Point C in the UK.
- Advising an electric utility company in Korea in respect of its USD26 billion new nuclear project in Abu Dhabi - the UAE's first nuclear power plant, including in respect of the long term maintenance and operations agreement that will cover the operation of the nuclear power station for at least the first ten years of full commercial operations.
- Advising National Grid Transmission Plc. on the promotion of a large project that enabled connection of a proposed nuclear power plant near Sellafield to the national electricity transmission system.
- Advising Sellafield Limited in relation to its nuclear decommissioning design partner procurement, which includes a series of framework and partnering agreements for the Sellafield site facilities in Cumbria, UK.
- Advising the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and International Nuclear Services regarding the nuclear liabilities of a combined shipment of UK and French high-level nuclear waste being returned to Japan.