Leading advice to help your media business succeed
From responding to the increasing consumption of mobile entertainment, to preparing for advances in the metaverse, it’s critical for media companies to anticipate and address the implications of change.
Our Media and Entertainment practice is one of the most comprehensive and highly regarded sources of legal advice for media clients in the world, reflected in our first-class global directory rankings. We’re recognized for our global reach, long-standing high-level relationships, and the breadth and depth of our work with clients across the industry.
Across film, television, music, sports, fashion, digital and technology, our team has experience with content of every form and format in existence. We help some of the world’s biggest brands with all aspects of content, from financing, acquisition and production, to distribution, copyright and exploitation.
We focus particularly on consumer, privacy and e-commerce law issues; online advertising, marketing and sponsorship; search, branding and promotion; next generation data ownership; and the digital distribution of media content, including over-the-top (OTT) distribution of audio-visual content via the internet.
“Our Media and Entertainment practice is one of the most comprehensive and highly regarded sources of legal advice for media clients in the world.”
We advise on all aspects of dealmaking, investments, debt and equity financings, M&A, and strategic transactions including complex, cross-border joint ventures and IPOs.
Clients also turn to us for guidance with the myriad of issues related to data protection. We can help design and implement robust global privacy and security programs, wherever you do business.
Bringing metaverse projects to life is another area of focus. Whether your business is a start-up raising funds to build new blockchain technologies, or a Fortune 100 company implementing an NFT strategy, we can assist at every stage. Our award-winning TOKO platform efficiently combines legal advice and a tokenization solution.
Additionally, we have broad experience helping clients in the gambling, gaming, and esports industries, and on major event management.
If the need arises for litigation, we’re a trusted advisor and strong advocate for our clients, providing pre-dispute advice and creative resolution or, when necessary, support with arbitration, trial and appeal.
Whatever the challenges or opportunities your business faces, we’ll help you navigate change and maximize the value of your assets.
Awards and recognition
Our experience includes advising:
- Various technology companies and rights owners on the launch of non-fungible token (NFT) products, including TikTok on the launch of its first ever NFT initiative with its top creators on the TikTok platform
- Various international broadcasters and media companies such as ESPN, Lionsgate, Warner Bros. Discovery, Scripps, Vice Media, and beIN Sports, on the carriage and distribution of their channels and content, and on arrangements with various platform operators, including OTT and other direct-to-consumer strategies
- The Walt Disney Company on various entertainment and other matters globally, including the USD71 billion Disney-Fox merger
- HarbourView Equity Partners on its launch and establishment of a USD1 billion strategic relationship with Apollo Global Management, Inc.
- Major content owners and broadcasters, including ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE and ITV plc, on a variety of projects globally relating to media, technology, film, corporate and employment work
- Film and television companies including Fox, NBCUniversal, Netflix, Legendary, Showtime, Paramount Pictures and Paramount TV, on world class content in production such as Dune, Mission: Impossible movies, Star Trek Beyond, Independence Day: Resurgence, Fast & Furious 7, Halo, Jack Ryan, FBI: International and many more
- APA, a Beverly Hills-based talent agency, on a major non-equity financial investment from The Yucaipa Companies
- Smilegate on its USD100 million investment in That’s No Moon Entertainment
- SunTrust/Truist Bank on a USD60 million syndicated corporate credit facility for Dean Devlin’s Electric Entertainment
- Vindex, an esports infrastructure start-up, on the launch of its business operations and on a partnership agreement with IMAX