Dr Justus HerrlingerPartner
Dr Justus Herrlinger has more than 15 years of experience in advising national and international clients on all aspects of European and German antitrust law.
He is in particular experienced in defending clients in cartel investigations, in advising and representing clients in merger control proceedings, cases of abuse of a dominant position and cartel damages actions. Clients also approach him for reviews of business cooperations or Joint Ventures. In international M&A transactions Justus regularly advises on multi-jurisdictional filing requirements, including Foreign Direct Investment laws.
As far as necessary, Justus is well experienced in representing his clients before the Federal Cartel Office (Bundeskartellamt), the European Commission and litigates cases before civil courts.
- Broad range of antitrust litigation including representation in cases of abusive price increases, refusal to supply or discriminatory behavior by dominant companies
- Successfully advised leading German companies in antitrust claims for damages against international suppliers
- Advising various large and medium-sized companies on cooperation projects with competitors including sustainability initiatives
- Advising online platform operators (e.g., fashion, consumer goods) on antitrust issues including information flows
- More than 15 years of experience in complex and international merger control proceedings before the EU Commission, the German Federal Cartel Office and international competition authorities
- Successful defense of numerous national and international companies in antitrust investigations before the EU Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office
- Higher Regional Court of Rostock, Second State Examination, 2003
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Dr. iur, (summa cum laude), 2001
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, First State Examination, 2000
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for antitrust law; “collegial and reliable”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for antitrust law; “Highest professional competence. Very good responsiveness.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for competition/antitrust Law
- Prior to joining DLA Piper, Justus Herrlinger worked at a leading international law firm in Hamburg, Brussels and New York.
- Visiting lecturer at the Leuphana University of Lüneburg
Memberships And Affiliations
- Association of German, Austrian and Swiss lawyers with a special interest in antitrust law
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Forschungsinstitut für Wirtschaftsverfassung und Wettbewerb e. V. (FIW)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Capvis on the acquisition of a majority stake in Schurter Group
20 January 2023 .2 minute read